Polikarpov Po-2 1/48 ICM-Eduard, post-war civil version, Hungary - FINISHED

Started by Csaba · 222 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, looks gorgeous, my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Tom @tcinla, they indeed look like the cables are cut, but the Po-2 had these crazy deflection angles. I looked up the maximum angle before the build in the original pilot’s operating handbook, double checked with photos and made this handy assembly jig to set the correct angle.

The checkerboard part is actually painted, only the registrations are custom decals.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Ah, now I have the decals right. They still look good.

That's very surprising about the controls. Wow!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great results on the checkerboard pattern, Csaba @pikofix
    Very practical approach to set the correct angle this way.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks great, Csaba (@pikofix), especially given the complex nature of the paint scheme. The good news is almost any other paint scheme you might choose for another model will be less complex.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Indeed the angle of the elevator is quite clear from the picture you posted of HA-PAX as the towplane of the Gebics on its maiden flight. Not that I would have any doubts about your research - very thorough all the way through.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 4 months ago:

It was a long learning process John @johnb. I remember my first models build as a child. I always struggled with properly adjusting parts, and usually my planes were never sitting correctly on their wheels after assembly. Something was also wrong, and the finished model was terrible. I started making custom assembly fixtures as a teenager to help with this issue.

George @gblair my intention with this project was to get experience with such painting schemes. I have a few kits in my stash, waiting for assembly with similar patterns. Many of these kits had decal sheets, but I really don’t like using such large decals. Painting gives much better result, but of course it requires more work.

Erik @airbum for me the research part is just as interesting as the build itself. I have been a bookworm since I learned how to read. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I think your painting experiment has shown great results, Csaba (@pikofix). I have been experimenting with using my wife's diecut machine to cut painting masks for my models. She uses this machine for cutting parts for the greeting cards she makes, but I have had some success cutting stencils for my models. I have been able to cut masks for lettering down to a little less than an 1/8 inch, and it is really good at cutting shapes like squares, triangles, etc.

• Profile Photo

George @gblair I considered such a machine last year, but I have limited space for hobby stuff, and it would not be used too often. Would be great, but that project has to wait until we get another place to live. The price and features might be even better in a few years - same with another item on the wish list, a 3D printer.

In the meanwhile, I finalized everything on the kit, except the rigging. It has to wait until I get one or two days off from work and have some time alone at home. I simply can´t do that when the wife and kids are around me. 🙂

• Profile Photo

It is happening - rigging is finally ongoing!
    Kids are in daycare, wife is at work, I am at home, burning a few unused vacation days before they expire end of this month.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This looks 1:1, my friend @pikofix!
    Spectacular job so far!
    Yes, kids daycare, working wife, I am a proud member of this club, as well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Your using these days well, Csaba @pikofix
    Looking great

• Profile Photo

All of the control surface cables are done now. I used Uschi rigging wires, these are excellent based on my limited experience.
    The remaining tasks are the actual airframe wires, but I am not sure what to do. Most of the reference material shows the Po-2 with flat wires. I bought the flat wire photoetch set from S.B.S. model, but even the 1:72 scale version seems to be quite oversized for me. It might look better on the model...
    I also need to figure out how to use such a wire set. Probably using PVA glue to fix the wires onto the turnbuckles would give me enough time to adjust them properly. Once everything is set, I could place a tiny amount of superglue on top of the PVA joint to strengthen it.

In the meanwhile, enjoy this video covering the maintenance work of HA-PAO, a Po-2 in flying condition. It shows a lot of great details - you might find it interesting, even if you don´t speak the language. Unfortunately it is not HD, but still very interesting to watch.

Another video is showing the engine test.

• Profile Photo

I decided not to use the flat rigging after all. I made a simple test, read a bit about this solution, and the conclusion was to keep for a future project. It is very hard to get it right, it might look oversized and too flat, but the main problem is that it can get saggy very easily. Most of the experienced WW1 modelers prefer monofilament or some kind of flexible thread (for example the Uschi made one, used by me as well).

Today I managed to make the structural wires as well, the only rigging task on my to do list is making the aileron cables on the wings. After that I have to glue the engine, propeller and a rear-view mirror to finish the model. Almost done, can’t believe it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@pikofix - this is really coming together nicely. Your finish is highly realistic.