Revell 1/32 Huey

Started by Jordyn Collier · 9 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hmmm. My first attempt at a helo. This should be an interesting thing to try I think! And does anyone have any tips for this build? I've already started the cockpit, but I would like to know anything that could be of use. Thanks!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And the thing is basically built. On to the painting process.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Jordyn!
    You are a fast builder, aren't you?
    Reminds me of the great one-afternoon builds I did as a kid!
    Looks great so far!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks good. If I recall correctly, this kit comes with decals for a khaki version and a really brightly painted version. I would lean toward the bright version, but that would make the painting a little more difficult perhaps.

• Profile Photo

Way ahead of you lol. It's just painted, I still need to figure our how to weather it. Any help by anyone?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Jordyn!

You finished it and it looks great!

You are a fast builder, aren't you?

For weathering you can:

1. Add some black smoke effect on the top of the boom area behind the engine. It gets really sooty there. you can do it with artists chalks (scrape some chalk and apply it at the desired area with a cotton bud-be smooth and gentle - excess can be wiped off).

2.Add some mud and dirt at the skis and the underside of the helo. You can again use chalks, brownish/blackish I would say.

Once you are happy with the looks, seal everything with a matt or satin cote.

There are many weathering techniques, but, I belive, the above is simple enough to try it.

Wishing you good success with your weathering.

Your Huey looks great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great, Jordyn. Now all you need to do is find some real estate in your hobby case to display the Huey. I use both Vallejo and AK weathering products. Vallejo products are acrylic and easy to use, while AK are enamel based. I prefer the AK, but it only works on a surface that won't react with the enamels in the weathering product.

• Profile Photo
    Scott Snow said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Jordyn,
    Your Huey looks great. One of the VIP configured Hueys I flew in Panama had the same brown drab paint as your model, except ours was a glossy finish. I always liked that color more than the dark green paint we used later.
    Cheers,
    Scott

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate the help! And yea, since this was a rather cheap and simple build I have been building it super fast. It's not even on purpose lol.