Revell Focke Wulf 190 in 1/144 scale

Started by Robert Dambrauskas · 8 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Dambrauskas said 6 years ago:

I'm going to try to re-enter the hobby after a long absence with this little kit that's been in my stash for decades. It's a cheap kit, not very high quality, but it will allow my to get my tools together and hopefully hone my ability to make a model! I will post some photos of my progress but not every little detail.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years ago:

That photo with the beach behind you looks just like Flager (not too far from where I am).
    Then again, it could just as easily be in North Carolina for all I know. 🙁

• Profile Photo

Not NC, not Flagler, ( at least not this time), it's Crescent beach. My wife and I go up and down the coastline quite a bit. This trip was to St Augustine, a lovely destination. I love the beaches of Florida!

• Profile Photo

...now where is that plane?!?...

• Profile Photo

Ah! There it is! I have my work cut out for me!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Dambrauskas said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I am taking a long time getting back into the hobby, probably for many reasons. I am frustrated with painting my model because most paint jobs involve many steps; primer, color coat(s), weathering, sealer/gloss coat prior to decalling, and then a final sealer coat in either gloss or matte finish after decals. I am starting to conclude that in my favorite scale of 1/144, all this paint only ends up obscuring detail such as panel lines, rivet detail, etc. Is the only solution to use an airbrush? It must be! I'm using Model Master spray cans and have even tried warming the can in hot water first! I just don't know how to proceed! Brush painting is not smooth enough, and spray cans just spray out way too much paint, in a pattern that is way too big and wide! I think I'm going to have to break out my airbrush, and try getting better results before I move on to some of my more expensive kits! Anyone else have these concerns?

• Profile Photo
    Robert Dambrauskas said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Done! Finally finished something!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I have a lot of 1/144th planes, but most of them remain unbuilt. I was attracted to this scale because I thought I could get many more models on my shelf than if I built them in 1/72nd or 1/48th. I also thought they might be an interesting challenge. You can still read through some of the English modeling magazines & find articles where someone has taken a 1/144th model and scratchbuilt an engine, superdetailed a cockpit, added figures, and so on. After building a few models, I became frustrated with painting, and went back to a larger scale. I do use an airbrush, but I found the masking of the canopies and other areas in 1/144th particularly challenging. I still use rattle cans sometimes on my larger models, but mainly for spraying primer or clear coats. Airbrushes really ramp up your ability to get realistic paint jobs, as well as putting the paint down in very thin coats. You can get a compressor and decent airbrush on Amazon for a lot less than you might think. They carry all of the big-name brands, but they also carry some unknown brands that cost significantly less and work just as well. Be sure to read the reviews before you buy because there are also a lot of airbrushes that are really just paper weights. If you get an airbrush, you will need to do some practice to get the results you want, especially in 1/144th. Hope to see some more builds from you soon.