Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 T-2E ”Buckeye”, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Matchbox, Revell, T-2
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my build of the Revell 1/72 T-2E "Buckeye", that I intend to finish it as a Hellenic Air Force Bird.

The T-2E "Buckeye" is a US built, twin-engine training aircraft. T-2 is the only training jet aircraft of the Hellenic Air Force and is used for the final stage of young pilots’ training. T-2s operate from Kalamata Air Force Base (120 Air Training Wing) and belong to 362 squadron “Nestor” and 363 squadron “Danaos”. The specific airplane has trained many generations of Greek pilots but despite its reliability it is expected to be replaced shortly by a new training jet. It wears a three-colour, brown, green and white camouflage.

The Revell kit is a rebox of the original Matchbox kit. Sadly, both sprues have the same white color (I loved the multicolor Matchbox kits sprues in the past!).

It is a simple typical Matchbox kit, meaning good overall shape, deep trenches for surface detailing, ultra sparse cockpit and acceptable landing gear.

The decal sheet is a gem: it is printed by Cartograf, so no extra info is necessary!

Instructions are very nice and clear:

I am going to build it wheels up and mount it on a custom base at a dynamic posture.

It is going to be a present to a Major General who is an amazing guy and a very good friend of mine. He was stationed in Kalamata Air Base for a while, the Base HAF T-2s were operating from.

I have no real deadline for it, but, finish it during the Christmas vacations will not be bad...

Construction

Having a soft spot on older kits (Matchbox kits among them) and wanting to take a ultra mini breath between the looping touching up sessions of my EoJ GB Toryu, I attacked this little sweetie:

I glued the fuselage halves together and the wing halves. I did not attach the wings to the fuselage, as they are inserted in a receptacle style opening, so the best would be to fill/sand everything before installation. I attached the stabilators at the fin.

General fit was ok.

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice one Spiros, I've always liked the look of the Buckeye !

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great to see you building it, I did the USN version a while ago.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan @kalamazoo, indeed the Buckeye has great, distinctive looks!
    Thanks Robert @roofrat, your Buckeye looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice start, Spiros. @fiveten
    The Hellenic camouflage scheme looks fantastic.
    Count me in to this thread.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @Johnb!
    Of course, as always, you are most welcome to this thread!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Strapped in too my friend (@fiveten)!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Cool choice Spiros since I've had the pleasure of riding in these before. The Hellenic camo variant looks like a great scheme when finished.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends Erik @airbum and Chuck @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great idea for a special gift. Looking forward to see how this one turns out, off to a great start.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Andrew @pb_legend!
    Yep, it's a great motivation and a nice "mini-break" from the so called more demanding modeling projects!

• Profile Photo

Initial sanding

The NLG doors were totally irrelevant with the opening they were supposed to cover, so liquefied styrene was applied there, as well as on one nasty gap between the starboard MLG doors.
    As I told you above, I elected not to attach the wings, in order to work some major fillin/sanding issues more (muc much more!) easilly.
    This is such a lovely cutie of a kit!

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Neat subject choice. Will be different to see one in the Hellenic Air Force markings.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Doug @eydugstr!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I see LqS my friend. . .