Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 T-2E ”Buckeye”, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Matchbox, Revell, T-2
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great project! I've got two of these in the original Matchbox boxes, and the TwoBobs decal sheet to do one USN and one Hellenic bird! Will be following merrily along...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, my friend @airbum, LqS indeed! That lovely stuff!

Thanks Greg @gkittinger! Hope not to disappoint you with my OOB build, my friend!

Glad to hear you have two original Matchboxes! TwoBobs decals mut be stunning, but my kit’s supplied Cartografs are also very good indeed!

I miss Matchbox kits so much, as I also miss their ’70s diecast cars in the rectangular carton box….

And an update:

Smooth sanded the liquefied styrene filled gaps, the result was excellent.

I then attached the wings to the fuselage.

Their end is completely inserted into appropriately molded fuselage openings, meaning be prepared for gaps! I applied my diminishing Squadron Green Putty int every gap and nook I could spot.

I also drilled open the three small but characteristic underbelly airscoops.

Smoothsanding tomorrow?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress Spiros, fun building the older kits for a change. Also practice our skills with a little work involved.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Now I see green . . .

Great fast-track build under way here my friend. My stash is already in overflow mode, so no Buckeye for me - even though the Special Hobby 1/32 is tempting @fiveten. . .

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

You are proceeding very quickly, Spiros.
    I'm still impressed how you guys use that LqS.
    Will give it a try once I'm feeling more confident.
    Those cars bring back memories, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends!

Chuck @uscusn, oh my! I love Matchboxes! I remember my Father buying me one every time I had my vaccine, back in 1971, in Cyprus, where he was stationed for 2 years (my Dad was an AF Officer, as well).

The "deal" was not to cry upon needle insertion, so he'd buy me a Matchbox. Not only wasn't I crying, but also I couldn't wait to have my weekly vaccine dose, hoping the doses would be infinite! Ahhhh, those days!

Erik @airbum, not only I have the Special Hobby 1/48 Buckeye, but also the 1/32 one is on offer (for me) from one of the two "usual suspect" friends hobby shop owners in Athens, at a price difficult to say no.

How much can I resist the temptation?

John @johnb, once you get your hands to and feel comfortable with LqS, you'll become life time friends!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great choice of builds Spiros.
    I don’t know how many Matchbox kits I had the pleasure of building, all were fun. I had the opportunity to get into sit in a Buckeye cockpit while visiting San Diego. Was my FB profile pic for a while.
    This kit is in good hands Spiros and I’m looking forward to view the progress.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend George @georgeswork!
    You look great in that cockpit!
    Here's an update on my T-2:

I sanded the puttied areas and a smooth result was achieved.

I think paint shop time is arriving...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress, Spiros.
    It does indeed look very smooth

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Starting to look like a Buckeye!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Passed the Vne test from my older son successfully too! Interestingly, there's no reassurance that additional Vne tests will not take place (by the usual suspect, my younger one...)

• Profile Photo

Underside gray

• Profile Photo

Hopefully those Vne tests will not peel off the paint! Actually looks great with the "clean" underside (no legs that is).

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!
    Vne test requests are constantly made, heaven knows how they are avoided so far...
    The underside looks clean, the gear doors filled and sanded smooth, due to the "less than stellar" fit...I WOULD like to have their edges defined, but I will leave them "as is"...you know... the joy of excuses for a desktop model!