Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 T-2E ”Buckeye”, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Matchbox, Revell, T-2
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

El Chaepo it may be, but it looks a million!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I'm always on the lookout for El Cheapo solutions! Looking good...

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I missed this one completely! What a stunning build. Took me on a Matchbox-down-memory-lane trip. Every Saturday I got a Matchbox kit from the local Hardware store that had a model and toy section. The beautiful action driven artwork always caught the eye. The Buckeye is the ONE I never built. Yours is a STUNNING rendition!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friends @gkittinger and @mornem!

Rushing down the local toy/hobby store back in the mid 70s, admiring those amazing multicolor sprues Matchbox kits and eventually buying one and build it, brush painting it with those Humbrols, decalling it, hoping the decals would somehow adhere to the matt sections as well...

So many beautiful memories...

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice work Spiros great to see this little kit built so well!

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much, David @davem!

• Profile Photo

Wrap-up continues...

Toucuhups almost finished (a bit more to be done at the undersides of the tip tanks).
    I attached the arresting hook and a fin antenna (it was made of stretched sprue):

Some final touchups to be performed, two gunsights to be added, making of two navigation lights at the tips of the tanks, some weathering and we are off to the final coating!
    Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Amazing looking Buckeye Spiros - Looks like you took care of the wing tanks quite nicely. Great looking camo scheme with a nice splash of colour - The Major General is going be impressed!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looks fantastic, Spiros. Paintwork is very well done, camo and decals are perfect.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @georgeswork and @gblair!
    George @gblair, so nice to hear from you. We missed you a lot, Sir!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice, Spiros.
    The streched sprue antenna looks great, like the entire aircraft as well.
    Finish line insight.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking super cool Spiros. You're getting close to the finish line for sure. I really like the over all paint job you did and the wild colors of the tip tanks especially. They must be permanent tanks as I was totally unaware that navigation lights could be attached to them. The pilots turned out great too.
    Q: Are hobby shops disappearing in Greece too like here?

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @johnb and @eb801!

Yes, the Hobby shops are disappearing in Greece, as well. Compared to their number in, say, 2000, only about 30% of them remain, maybe even less. Mail order might be the "normal" procedure now, but, call me pathetically nostalgic, I so much love to pay visits to hobby shops, telling jokes with the owners, staring at the stacked boxes (I even smell them, but it's my OCD 🙂 ), buying some, paying - always - cash, with a discount, of course! Then leaving, only to remember, a couple of hours later, that I forgot to buy that color shade, well, another opportunity to pay a visit has arised! Just like when we were kids!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@eb801, @fiveten

Same situation here in the Netherlands.

Hardly any shops left here and most of the remaining ones do not have so much stock.

Closest one for me is a 30km drive, which is still ok ofcourse, and this one still has stacked boxes like Spiros explained, including the smell of old carboard. Feels fantastic when visiting this store. Including enthusiastic employees as well.

Fully agree on Spiros' remark, feels like being a kid again to take every opportunity for a visit.