Revell/Hasegawa 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I/II Build Part II-Moving Right Along.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 12 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 11 months ago:

So I buttoned up the fuselage and, as predicted, a lot of that lovely cockpit detail is no longer visible. I suppose I will lose a bit more when I install the canopy parts. No matter, I know its there and , after all, I'm building a Spitfire, not a Cadillac. I dry fitted the big elliptical wing to the fuselage and was suprised to find the fit was 95% "Spot-On" and not the terrible fit that I read about in past reviews. Just a little tweeking and "Fannies your aunt".

Speaking of that big wing...did you ever notice that it is very hard to find a photograph of a parked Spitfire with it's flaps down? That is because it was against regulations to do so. Still, I wanted to detail something, so I decided to add some detail to the radiator. This is where I ran into a small problem, the radiator insert is short in length and will not fit flush with the roof of the front and rear radiator housing. Simple fix though, just cut it widthwise and fit it. I scratch built a new radiator flap and some gun heating tubes and I am pleased with the results even though, once again, the detail will be hardly seen once I put this "Spit" on a base.

I found no need to add a lot of aftermarket wheels and such. A little detailing and painting and the kit parts look just as good, if not better, than the aftermarket parts.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A few more photos

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Seamus, great looking work posted here for sure. I especially enjoy the subtle detail work you did on the radiators, cockpit door and rear antennae mast. Can’t wait to see this bad boy when it’s finished!

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Yep totally agree with Erich - you have a great eye, and skill for detail Seamus. Is the finished article gonna be with the dark earth/green camo or grey/green? I know some of the Mk2 Spits were in front line service around at the time the RAF changed colours, so to speak!

• Profile Photo

Gregor,

Before I even put glue to plastic, I had already decided on a dark earth/dark green camouflage with a "Sky" fuselage band and thought NKK flown by P/O A.S.C. Lumsden of 118 Squadron would fit the bill. As I researched articles on this particular kit, I came to find that NKK is to the Spitfire MkII, what "Big Beautiful Doll" is to the P-51 Mustang...done to death. I then came across XRD of No 71 "American Eagle" Squadron, but after a little research, came to find that there is a controversy over whether this aircraft was painted dark earth/dark green or medium sea grey/dark green. For every source that said "A", there was another source that said "B". I hate being half right because that means I am also half wrong. Finally, I found photos of a generic MkII (RFJ) of the famous 303 "Polish" Squadron and this is how I am going to mark my "Spit"

• Profile Photo

Great - look forward to seeing it! I prefer the dark earth/green camo with the sky undersides, the grey schemes all look too drab to me. Have you seen this page on the web: http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/303/303-pics2.html. Just had a look a min ago, and if you scroll down the page it has a couple of colour profiles of MkII's. I did my 1/24 Airfix Spit as 303's RF/D but is a MkVb, and has been done to death, as Zumbach's plane is well known.

• Profile Photo

This is the aircraft scheme I am shooting for. Of interest is the fact that the starboard side codes are not reversed, which should result in a nice symmetric look. Another point of interest are the medium sea gray circles that appear over the letter "R". No information has been given as to what that circle is or what it means. The best that I can figure is that the squadron emblem was once over the "R" and then it was painted over and a new one applied foward the cockpit. I cannot say this is fact, but I believe it is a pretty rational speculation. Another thing I like about this particular Spitfire is it is one of those civlian sponsored Spitfires which are always pretty cool.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Funny thing about this illustration is it shows the access door for the accumulator/starter trolly and there is no bulge for the Coffman starter. Regardless, the is the bird that I am going to depict.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Seamus, Could be that spot is just a generic(poor) depiction of one of those pH patches place on AC to detect if the Germans were dropping mustard gas bombs? I recall reading that some early spitfires had these indicators place on the starboard wing in the shape of a triangle. In addition, I know that early Apaches/P-51A/Mk IA had these patches place on the fuselage as well. At any rate, as far as the detail goes; as long as you are happy, then it’s all good. Looking forward to the finished product.

• Profile Photo

Well Erich, like I said, I am just speculating, so your guess is as good as mine. But if that circle was a gas detection patch, how would the pilot see it?

• Profile Photo

Guys the patch is where the squadron badge used to sit. If you look at 303's Hurricanes from the Battle of Britain era they used to place the badge behind the canopy. This was relocated at some point to just forward of the cockpit same goes for the Polish national emblem which was moved to the front engine cowling. That web page i posted illustrates what i mean if you wanna check it out. Gas detection patches only appeared on early machines c1939/40 and were yellow squares on the wing if memory serves me right! The coffman starter was always a good "giveaway" to identify MkII's so i dunno why this machine hasn't got one. Not all MkII's had to Rotol props and the blunt spinners either. I guess it comes down to production lines and the gradual change from MkI spec to Mk II. Same goes for the early MkV some of which were adapted MkI airframes. Phew, I think i need a lie down now! Anyway good luck with the rest of the build Seamus I think its gonna look great given your chosen scheme and the progress you've made so far.

• Profile Photo

That is how I came up with my speculation, by looking at a picture of a 303 Sqdn Hurricane with the emblem just behind the head-rest. That is one mystery solved.