Revell/Hasegawa 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I/II Build Part III-Achtung Spitfire!

Started by Seamus Boughe · 3 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 9 months ago:

With the detailed cockpit closed between the re-scribed fuselage halves, it was time to fit the wings. The fit of the main wings to the fuselage was "Spot On". Well, maybe not Tamiya "Spot On" but pretty "Spot On" all the same. The forward panel line where the wing meets the wing root was a bit wider than the rear panel line. This was filled with a peice of .20 plastic rod, sanded flush, and rescribed. The trailing edges of the gull portion of the wing and fuselage were flat and a bit thick. This was remedied by gluing two peices of .10 plastic rod parallel with each other along the offending portion. When dry, another piece of .10 plastic rod was glued on top forming a triangle. This was then covered with my filler of choice, "Porc-A-Filler". Porc-A-Filler is used to repair chipped porcelain sinks, tubs, and toilets, but works great as a model filler also. It dries hard, can be sanded, polished, and scribed, does not shrink, and is extremely durable. Once the Porc-A-Filler dried, I sanded everything down using the contours of the wing which resulted in a nice tapered trailing edge. I then went to work on some missing fiddly-bits such as the fuel filler cap and the rear antenna mast. Now it is time to hit the paint booth.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 9 months ago:

I always like a Spit. Seamus this is going very well.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Seamus great progress mate. Love the attention to details such as on the rear view mirror and the fuel cap. Thats a great jig you have set up for holding the model to keep everything in alignment. Looking forward to your next installment 🙂