Roden 1/48 T-28C (done as a ”B”)

Started by Tom Cleaver · 40 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

This kit showed up with the Ar-68F from Roden. As a break from the tedious editing/rewriting on "The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club," it came together pretty easily. The kit is "clunky" parts-wise in assembly, but the klunkiness is not present in the assembled model, other than some fairly "tench-like" panel lines, which are OK. I recall they became less noticeable on the T-28D under the proverbial "coat of paint." I dealt with the mold-release tower in the middle of each seat by making a pad from folded-over Tamiya tape, then added Eduard USN seat belts.

It will now sit for a week or so, till the Aeromaster sheet I ordered from an eBay dealer arrives. I'm planning on doing an early USN trainer in the overall yellow scheme.

Personally, I like the T-28. I got some really nice A2A photography from one a friend had, back in the late 90s - I stopped flying with him after he demonstrated he'd become "an accident looking to happen" when he nearly landed his P-51 wheels up because he didn't do his pre-landing checklist. Unfortunately, he arrived at his fatal accident 4 months later when he ran his T-28 into the side of the mountain ten feet below the crest of Banning Pass in bad weather, because he wouldn't check with Flight Following and get an altimeter check after passing through the front. Like the old saying goes, "Aviation in itself is not inherently difficult, but like the sea it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.”

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nice progress and great looks, cockpit definitely included, my friend @tcinla!

This kit is miles ahead from the venerable Monogram (which, of course 🙂 , I own...).

Looking forward to it.

P.S. Sorry about your friend, I agree with your comments about aviation safety. The first and best thing a pilot should care of is to survive, in order to fly the next day...

P.P.S. By reading your topic's title only, i knew it would be from you...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

The Trojan is a great aircraft and I'm sure your build will be also, Tom.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
    I agree with Spiros @fiveten, safety first, in every situation.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten and @johnb - "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots; but there are no old, bold pilots."

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Another great kit, Tom (@tcinla). I also am sorry about your friend. One of my favorite books is by Ernest Gann called Fate is the Hunter. In the book he asks the question why fate seeks out some pilots and others, like me, survive a career of almost really bad stuff. I had several pilot training classmates that didn't survive their 20 years in the Air Force. Here's to missing friends.

• Profile Photo

The sad thing about the guy I knew was everyone who knew him was only surprised by the specifics of the accident - they were all convinced he was a walking accident in waiting. He just started thinking and acting like he knew it all - that's deadly in aviation.

• Profile Photo

Now that I have "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" edited to my editor's liking, I have the time to get back to this. Canopies lightly attached (they'll be open) and masked. Painting will proceed.

For those who have the Aeromaster sheet I am going to use, Errormaster strikes again. The airplane was an instrument trainer (proof being this photo with the hood deployed for the student) so those stripes are Willow Green, not red. And the unit is ATU-800, not "ATUB00" - fortunately the bottomless decal dungeon had a proper "8."

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice, looking forward to the paintwork, Tom.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @tcinla!
    Good catch on that color shade!

• Profile Photo

Painting begins.

I did a preshade on panel lines with black, then masked off the exhaust area. Then the anti-glare panel and masked it off. Then overall flat white in a thin coat to let the preshading come through. Then the green instrument trainer bands. They will be masked and then overall Chrome Yellow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 3 years ago:

Some folks have more money than brains. That term is applicable to many things besides aviation.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Looks good, Tom. What are you going to use for the yellow? I started a Monogram SNJ and will be finishing it as a Barin Field SNJ-5c. I’m thinking Mr. Color 329, FS 13538.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, Tom!

• Profile Photo

Here it is painted in a Tamiya Mixture to do my take from color photos of "Chrome Yellow", the Navy trainer color in those days.

@j-healy - this is the color you want your SNJ-5 in - if it's a 5C, then it's got a tailhook and was also used for instrument training. Caracal Decals has a nice sheet of yellow SNJs that I just picked up and am going to do the T-6 kit I have as one of them.

The yellow is 3 parts Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow. 1 part Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow and 1 part Tamiya X-6 Orange.

The "willow green" is a mixture of 4 parts Tamiya X-38 Park Green to 1 part Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green.

Wheel wells, landing gear and inside of gear doors are Vallejo Dull Aluminum.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice paint results, Tom.
    Yellow is absolutely not easy but you did a great job here.