By chance I was bored half way a certain build when I decided to pull my 10% made Zvezda 109 G out of the box.
I recall I stopped after getting the cockpit half made and the engine built but unpainted, just can’t recall why I stopped there though.
Anyway around that time fellow iModeller Louis Gardner was spicing things here with some reviews and dual builds of the same plane by different brands, when the word got around the new Tamiya G-6.
The fact that some people have not seen both the Zvezda mould and/or wer poorly aware of Eduard’s one, incite me to begin my third 109 G from this Czech maker and try to do a more or less side by side construction of the 2 kits.
For me the goal is to get 2 less boxes in the stash and 2 new Gustav on the shelf, but I will try to narrate the pros and cons Found along the build process.
For the record, I already built the 109 F from Zevda (well 98% of it to be more accurate), and it was the worst 1/48 Messerschmitt build experience in my life, but to be fair some of this was my own fault. Nonetheless I found the kit overengineered for little gain in what most modelers seek to build.
The exact opposite was my 2 previous building experiences from Eduard.
So does this mean I am biased? You bet I am, but previous experiences aren’t always replicated when one tackles the same kit again right?!
So here’s where I am now with the 2 kits:
Terrific detail for the cockpit (best OOB to me by far) and great detail on the engine, sharp and authentic. No idea if it’s exactly the shape of the DB engine the G-6 version used, since it seems the same as in the F-2/4 box. Still it’s very neat, and comes without any A.M. price. I am trying to detail it a bit.
No need for fillers at all when it come to joining the fuselage sides and cockpit, all clips smoothly, using nothing but extra thin liquid glue.
The wings, on the other hand are not so great. First of all the tip of the wings is to be inserted. I did this when I first started the kit and remember glueing each tip to one of the sides on the wing first. Only then I glued the remaining lower or upper half of the wing, to ensure a smooth straight wing…no such luck. No idea why but one of the tiles is slightly tilted upwards and can’t fix it without major repair, which I ain’t keen to do.
Then the wings had an almost zero dihedral (something which I don’t recall having in their F version). To fix this I sanded the fuselage wing roots to allow the wing slightly forced to bent upward and get that familiar dihedral on the Messerschmitt family. That did it, but some work now needs to be done to get all joints smooth again. No big problem.
Next there’s a proeminente gap on the windscreen plastic part where the IP is glued to. Again, don’t recall this gap on their earlier F version. Let’s see in the future if this is a result of the plastic or one of my bloopers.
Another quite visible gap in in the lower wing/fuselage joint line. Needs some plastic insert to foil it but otherwise it is in the precise contour on that area.
7 attached images. Click to enlarge.