So I started my first spit..

Started by Billy Smith · 4 · 10 years ago · spitfire first supermarine mark XI
  • Profile Photo
    Billy Smith said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Ever since I started modelling I've always wanted to build a spitfire but I never got around to it. Finally I picked up a spitfire by monogram and it has been an easy but very fun little build.

For starters there is only 40 parts so this plane is not massively detailed but I only paid around 10 bucks for it. Also when I started to apply the decals I realized that the instructions were for a different set of decals, so I had to rely on my internet sources.

Sorry these paragraphs are so sloppy and unprofessional but, if you noticed looking through my pictures you can see some very sloppy and large pre shading, this was my first attempt ever at doing it and I personally thought it came out decent. I feel as if I changed the tip on my air brush to make it smaller it would have come out a tid bit better. But I've never gotten a perfect mixture of thinned black paint it's either too thick or too thin any advice other than the milk trick?

All of the pictures are off of my iPhone so I'm sorry if any of them are tilted, I was too lazy to whip out my Canon

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 8 months ago:

The Monogram Spitfire Mk.II is a good choice for your first Spitfire build. Maybe not the most detailed Spitfire kit out there, but it builds up nicely and, as you already mentioned, is pretty cheap in price. As far as pre-shading is concerned, try not to use black if possible, instead, try to use a dark grey such as RLM 66 or some of the Floquil blacks such as grimy black or oily black, which are actually dark greys. Dark greys leave a more subtle and realistic shadow. As far as thinning, 75% paint to 25% thinner always works fine for me. I use enamel paints though, I have no idea if this thinning ratio would work with acrylics. Anyway, despite whatever glitches you have experienced so far, your Spitfire is turning out nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Billy Smith said 10 years, 8 months ago:

I always use enamels, I feel as if the acrylics just take too long to dry haha

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 8 months ago:

Good. Seeing that you use enamels, the 75/25 ration will work well. That ratio works even better with Floquil enamels as they are somewhat pre-thinned to begin with. About the only acrylics I ever had any success with are Tamiya's. The only problem with Tamiya acrylics is you have to mix them most of the time to get a correct shade of something. That can get costly. Anyway, your Spitfire looks good so far, please post in "Headlines" when you get her finished.