Special Hobby F2G

Started by Jim Harley · 24 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Been a long summer...and no building. The Mustangs are set aside for the moment...dust is stupid...and I needed a quick OOB build...or so I thought. I've always loved the corncob Corsairs and Air Racing so I thought it would be fun to do a quick build of #57. This kit has been reviewed a few times and it certainly has issues, but it's the only game in town for the F2G. "Quick build" went out the window as soon as I started fitting the cockpit. But that's ok...it's turned out to be well worth all the effort. The tub sits too low in the fuselage which required some grinding on both the fuse halves and the tub itself. Nothing a dremel can't fix. I also thinned out the glare shield to get the instrument panel higher in the frame ala the full scale. The fuselage fit together pretty well, but this is where it kinda turns in to an R/C model kinda build. Lots of sanding and filler. I'll preface this article by saying it's done...so no unhappy endings πŸ™‚ It's kind of fun to revisit through photos...4 weeks of dust and paint fumes worked out pretty well.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The wings actually go together pretty well. The wheel wells are pretty sparse on detail but that's ok...you'd have to pick it up to know that. The oil cooler resin parts fit beautifully but on the racer you really can't see the detail, that's ok too, they really stiffen up the wing. Not a lot of filler was needed for the wing, except around the oil cooler inlets, the gun ports, and the ammo chute holes. I did end up gluing the oil cooler inlets in prior to adding the top halves of the wing. When they did the mods for racing they reduced the inlets to about half the size as the stock units. I used styrene and a much abused tube of Tamiya white filler.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One more for the day...With the wing buttoned up it was on to the big carb scoop. There are a bunch of 3 views floating around a few books and Lord Google but none look right. I ended up enlarging a photo that is almost a perfect profile shot. I built up a box using styrene and installed the kit scoop to serve as the forward part of the scoop. That was as far as my plan went...I thought about using thick chunks of styrene or balsa to fill in the void. In the end I used Tamiya putty. In hindsight I should have used Testers molding compound or something similar. The Tamiya putty worked but it attacked the styrene and slighty deformed the shape I created. Note to self, coat the inside with CA...this will prevent that. In the end it worked with a lot of sanding and filling and sanding and filling.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This is great !

It happens to be my all time favorite plane. I have two of these Race #57 Special Hobby kits in the stash, and one of the Accurate Miniature "Miss Port Columbus" versions. I like what you did with the carb scoop. Looks like you nailed the profile to me...

I'll be looking forward to your next postings.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Wow. Lot's of work so far. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

• Profile Photo

My Grandfather kinda knew Walter Soplata, who had 74 stashed at his house in Newbury, Ohio. We met him while bumming around Painesville airport back in the 80's. Walter showed us around a few times after that...BUT no photos. If I can ever find decals for #74 I've got 2 more kits in the stash. My grandfather went to races in the 30's, and 40's...back then it was a huge deal around NE Ohio.

The resin engine is gorgeous, I feel guilty hiding it under the cowling, I wish the rest of the kit was of this quality. After about 3 sessions of working on the scoop I sent some photos to a friend...who kindly pointed out that the scoop goes all the way to the front of the cowling. Once you see it, you can't unsee it so back to filling and sanding. Overall I think it came out pretty close to the 1:1. Periodically shooting it with grey primer really made the final sanding and filling easy. Although, I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but the more you tinker with something the more filler you end up doing.

• Profile Photo

I had cut the tail feathers off the fuselage before I glued it together. I think it gives depth to the model to pose them away from neutral. Fortunately the plastic in this kit is fairly soft so it doesn't take long to cut them off. I added strip styrene to the leading edges and rounded them off per the full scale. Once the cowl was done with the heavy sanding the wing was glued in position. This fit amazingly well, just some small gaps around the leading edge where it attaches to the fuse. Styrene to the rescue, but filler probably would have worked just fine. Fortunately with the wing glued on the scoop looks more in perspective...it's huge! but it matches the photos.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One more for the day. The vacuum formed canopy is quite the challenge. It took me about an hour to slowly scribe and separate the part from the cast. Unfortunately it's too big for this model but I don't have the skills to make a new one. Fitting it to the fuselage was a whole ball of wax. The fuselage is molded like there was a dedicated canopy and then they decided to go with what kinda worked. Because it wouldn't easily conform to the fuselage I used CA, after testing on some scrap. I ran filler around the base to try and blend it in and it looked like c**p. I dug out my reference photos and found that the armored glass faired flat and straight in to the fuselage. Sooo I taped off the perimeter and shaped more putty to match the photos. It really was worth all the work, rather than just plunking it on there and calling it good. Once it was all shaped I carefully cleaned the model with alcohol and shot it with Tamiya primer. I'll have more thoughts on paint later...but I'll say that I'll never shoot enamels again!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 6 months ago:

excellent work! Looking fantastic - it'll look stunning once that glossy red/white paint coat is on!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This is absolutely fabulous... Greg is right. This is going to really pop.

I will build one of my kits up as Race 57, and who knows about the other two in the stash? I definitely want one done as a Navy plane wearing its typical Gloss Sea Blue. It would be cool to find another set of decals for another racer besides "Miss Port Columbus".

I knew Harry Doan who owned race 57 before it passed hands and finally ended up at Bob Odegard's. Harry had 3 F4U's and a bunch of other war birds. Small world indeed.

Thanks for posting these wonderful photos Jim.

I'll definitely be using this as a build guide when I get around to doing up mine.

• Profile Photo

I'm really glad you guys are liking this. It's a labor of love for sure. Some more for tonight... after I got it primed a friend pointed out the fatter oil coolers. It sure changes the look of the airplane. There is a big cooling door on the bottom of the fuse just behind the exhaust pipes. From the beginning I planned on making that door...just not the extra bits of inlet. After dremeling out the door opening I built another box out of styrene and coated it with CA. I packed in filler and sanded to match reference photos (which I'll post at the end of the thread) The prop also has issues...fill here and fill there

• Profile Photo

on to painting...this may be a double post...I used Tamiya gloss red with a drop of royal blue in each mix. I shot it on thinned 60% alcohol to 40% paint. Between coats it was wet sanded with 8000 grit, four coats in total. This paint goes on beautifully and buffs out like a new car. I had painted the nosebowl and the top of the rudder first with Tamiya white.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

The red paint on a Corsair is awesome and will be even more striking when the rest of the paint scheme goes on. Can't wait to see the big finish.

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Glad you told us in the first post it was done. . been trying to catch my breath trying to catch up here πŸ™‚

Thank you for sharing - it is a GR8 build sequence you have posted!

• Profile Photo

There are few racers that really have the presence of these F2G's...they look better as racers πŸ™‚ Before I applied the decals I taped off and sprayed the black trim around the forward canopy. You'll also see in the photos I sanded down the scoop some more...which was an easy fix, just didn't like a ridge that showed up in the red paint. I didn't spray it with clear before decaling, the gloss red went on and polished out really well. The big sunburst decals are all one piece and I didn't want all that clear film so I separated each bit of white. This took a ton of time but it worked out well. I started on the fuselage first. They go on beautifully and settle down nice with microsol. The kit only supplies one N-number so I used my second kit for the top number. In hindsight I should have sprayed the wheel wells before I did this but I was tossed on what color to use. I'd venture to guess they left the factory with blue wheel wells and I doubt Cook and his crew would have gone to that much trouble to change those since time was an issue. I'm probably wrong but it sounds good to me πŸ™‚

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.