Special Hobby F2G

Started by Jim Harley · 24 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I shot the rudder with Tamiya gloss clear coat, which left quite an orange peel, no matter what mix of thinner I used. I ordered some Mr. Color gloss clear and it's corresponding thinner. Went on like glass! After I got the decals on and the airframe cleared I built up the gear and decaled the doors. The landing gear is pretty generic so I added the door arms and "springs" with fine wire. After a shot of clear coat I used Tamiya wash to give it some depth and grime. The tires that come with this kit are terrible so one of my

Tamiya Corsairs is short set of wheels 🙂 The resin exhaust that is supplied with the kit is terrible as well. I had some evergreen tubing laying around so I heated it up and stretched it to scale. Small spacers were added to mount the exhaust pipes based on period photos. I wanted to mount the cowl flaps in the open position so those were cut apart and mounted individually. The nose decal went on with little trouble but the white paint on the nose bowl didn't match the decal. I taped off the red and did my best to blend the white decal with the airbrush.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This really looks great Jim ! The finish looks flawless, and the work on the prop is second to none.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

The white and red paint scheme here is a real standout, Jim. Everything is coming together nicely. I have had some trouble with Tamiya clear gloss, but I thought I was causing the problem. In addition to orange peel, I also had it dissolve the decals that I was covering with the clear. As you can imagine, it would be very difficult to fix this problem once it occurred. The first time it happened I thought perhaps I had put it on too thick, so I tried misting the clear on the next model. Same results. I haven't used it since. Tamiya clear flat has never caused a problem, so I still use it.

• Profile Photo

@Louis and George...I have to amend my post about going strictly Tamiya...Mr. Color works just as well! It's a confidence builder. I did shoot it with Tamiya semi gloss and it went on fine, I think it gave it a proper sheen, although it did look pretty cool with the high gloss. Once all the decals were on I gave it another shot of gloss in preparation for the wash. I mixed Tamiya black and grey in a small glass bowl and laid in a thin wash around most of the panel lines. I did two passes to build it up slowly. Once the wash was completed I shot it with Tamiya semi gloss. With that completed I installed the gear and the doors and took it outside for some photos...next post will be the finished model, still processing the photos.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 6 months ago:

A real beaut in those colors!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, this era of racing sure was colorful...not only the planes but the pilots and the post war push for something positive and exciting. These guys relied on brute horsepower unlike the later high tech era of Reno. I really think the golden age of racing spanned 1929 to 1979, ending with the demise of the Baron.

I got her out in the sun for some photos. The panel wash doesn't really show up in my iphone photos, but it's really subtle. At this point it's mostly final assembly and trying not to screw it up 🙂 Some of the attached photos are what I used as a references. During it's appearance at the Cleveland Air Show I volunteered to help keep it clean with a couple friends that knew Bob Odegaard. I'm the guy with the beard. That thing really spews oil! The attached photos are a mix of Rodney Williams period photos and my photos.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finis...she has some flaws but overall this was a fun build. From start to finish it was around 4 weeks, working about 2 hours a day. Maybe I'll start sanding the dust out of the Mustangs next 🙂 I really appreciate all the feedback and comments, such a great group!

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Congrats on a terrific job! The scratch-building was extensive and well-done, and the paint is immaculate. I'm looking forward to your next build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George! much appreciated. I've got a 1/48th P-26 on the table now, once it's farther along I'll post some photos. I have the Beguine P-51 conversion that is next in line. That one will require a lot of chopping!

Jim