Spitfire Mk. IX 312. sqd, 1/48

Started by Martin Dytrych · 23 · 5 years ago · 1/48, Martin Dytrych, RAF, Spitfire, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This is my very first highly detailed build. I have got almost all addons to this kit, available on the market.

I have got brassin cockpit, engine, gun bays, photoetched flaps, metal canons and masks.

I want to put this all together to get beautiful Spitfire of one of our most famous pilots - Tomas Vybiral. The choice was easy - it is czechoslovak pilot, born in Slovakia and he was flying for some time in Nitra, where I currently live.

I started with very nice cockpit, I have just added few wires and nothing else is needed from my point of view.

I will only add more wires on upper sides in cockpit, which are not made from brassin, so details level is lower there.

Painting:

1. airbrush - green -> dark shade -> light shade -> light gray to make higher contrast.

2. brush - painting details with Vallejo collors.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Martin, I think this is not your first highly detailed kit. It may be your first with all the possible aftermarket details but I can tell you, your builds are masterpieces of detail. In fact, your Avenger inspired me to hunt down and buy the Accurate Miniatures kit (from the Enterprise at Truk). I thought the photoshop experiment in that build was exceptional in idea and execution.

The Mk IX is my favourite Spitfire so looking forward to seeing you work on this.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I'd venture to say the after-market goodies cost way more than the kit itself (by the way, which kit is it?). And I agree with David (twice)...that Avenger was excellent!

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Martin, look forward to this build. I have been wanting to build the same model.

• Profile Photo

Well, I won some big discount. Therefore it was a bit cheaper. It was still 2x as much as the kit, cca 70 Eur in total. Kit is Eduard overtrees.

• Profile Photo

In my build schedule, there is still waiting Bf-110G4 and F4U-1A Corsair to be built with open engines and guns... and maybe something more.

• Profile Photo

You just don't see enough 110's - can't wait to see what you do with that!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to it! And as David mentioned, the Bf 110 is one of my fav's, so I can't wait to see that also!

• Profile Photo

Cockpit is almost done, I took few pictures before closing. Brassin cockpit is truly amazing, it looks full of details, and from some distance it is very hard to believe it is not a live thing 🙂
    I have just to add seat belts and gyro gunsight and that's it.
    I will also cut off the engine part of the fuselage before getting it together - it would be easier to cut it off now.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a hell of an office, Martin. Seriously, are those REAL lightening holes in 48th scale? I'm seriously impressed and if I were you I'd do another of those photoshop sessions before you button her up!

• Profile Photo

For sure it came to my mind 🙂 I am not decided yet, we will see. Here the cockpit is half open and many things you can see even after the build is finished.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 years, 7 months ago:

After some other projects done I came back to my Spitfire and (almost) finished engine. Some etched parts - the frame - will be added in later phase of the build. I coud damage them during painting, so I put them aside. I have already started gun bay. The engine was truly complicated and things will go much faster from now.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Beautiful Merlin, Martin!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, David. I am glad it is done and it looks better than expected (than I was afraid of).
    However, I feel much more confident to strip down a bit F4U Corsair and Bf-110, which kits I have in my queue.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I've been looking forward to that Zerstörer for a while and hoping to see it on your bench soon. As I've said before, it's actually a classic aircraft that you rarely see built (especially here). I think the Merlin looks great, more like 32 than 48.