Spitfire Story: Mk.I early, Eduard 1/48

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 60 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 3 years, 8 months ago:

There is no chance not to built another one Spitfire. Eduard has fulfilled one of my old wishes – a very early Spit with Watts two-blade propeller and the "flat" canopy in 1/48 scale. For me, it was always interesting how this Golden Era airplane has turned into an Mk.22/24 beast. Accidentally, I've got the "Spitfire Story" box a few days before the official release, so it begins...

• Profile Photo

I would not describe the sprues, because it's very similar to a well-known VIII and IX Eduard kits, and also there are a lot of other modelers who do great in-box reviews. But, looking on the unused parts I can say, that the LF Mk.Vb is on the way. Maybe the most interesting difference between this new kit and the old ones is the mix of lowered and raised rivets.

I've started with the cockpit. It has mainly the same parts division as Mk.VIII or IX kits, so if you did one of those kits before, everything will be familiar. PE parts for instrumental panels have "glass" imitation.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Dmitry, this is a very welcome WIP to many of us. This kit will surely be a success, despite two other very good kits of the MK.I also being available in the quarter scale niche. Yours is the first I see being built and it is looking very nice, no doubt it will turn out a beautiful model, as your work usually is. Thanks for sharing!

• Profile Photo

While putty is not required during most of the build (the fit is good), some parts have huge and disappointing sink marks: both of the exhausts, a wheel, air intake. Eduard already offers a resin exhausts, but I've decided to go with filling and sanding.

Watts prop is made of four different parts but without any injection deffects. I can't call any issues during the assembly except the filling an unneeded panel line on the cowling - can't understand why it's present, while a very early Mk.I has it's own fuselage parts. After fixing some small scratches and gaps, the kit was primed with the Gunze's 1500 black primer and is ready for painting.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer Thanks Pedro! I was hoping that there will be some conversion kit for the Tamiya's Mk.Ia, which is a great kit, but Eduard did it faster.

• Profile Photo

Also, I've found one note regarding the cockpit and I don't know is it correct or not - "the kit gives only the hand pumped undercarriage control and not the auto one. Which I think only the 1st 175 spits had the hand pumps then they where upgraded in the BoB". The box contains 10 different options and most of them for 1940 year...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Dmitry @starfar! What a great choice! I saw the excellent cockpit at apic above,then the plane was alredt primed: what a progress!
    Those sink marks are found here and there at many kits can be so annoying. I've heard that all it takes is for the molds to be separated when adequately cool; then, no sink marks will be present.
    Waiting for your painting!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Eduard does sometimes have a problem with sinkmarks on some of their kits. In the few instances I have experienced this I sent them a mail with a picture and within a few days a replacement is delivered. Great service! While I have an old Tamiya Mk 1 in the stash I will follow your build with interest, and very likely be tempted to go shopping. Great work so far.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Awesome choice of kits, Dmitry (@starfar). I had seen the advertisements for this kit and had wanted to see what it looked like. The sinkmarks are disappointing. I am building a Tamiya kit that had some rather large sinkmarks, which I had never had on a Tamiya kit. The presence of several sinkmarks on the kit I think confirms Spiros is right and my kit just came out of the mold too quickly. The location of the sinkmarks doesn't look too bad, but sinkmarks across a row or two of raised rivets on this kit would be daunting to fix. In any case, the cockpit looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing paint and decals on the rest of the plane.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this, Dmitry. I ordered mine on Friday.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 8 months ago:

It definitely looks like Eduard has robbed Tamiya of their lunch money with this kit. Mine's on the way and I can't wait to see it. Like you, Dmitry, I definitely want to do the early early one among my choices.

I'm not sure of the number of Spitfires that had the hand-pumped landing gear, but from the many comments by RAF pilots about it in memoirs, etc., I'm pretty sure it was more than the first 200.

This definitely looks like the "definitive" Spitfire I. Thanks for the inspiration. Now hurry up, mail and don't let That Guy slow you down.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I like that the exhausts can be added after painting. The exhausts on the Mk. VIII/IX were a real head scratcher.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your comments, mates!

So it looks like Eduard team was in the hurry getting the sprues out of the molds to pack and send this before the August 1st. Fortunately, there is no sink marks on the fuselage parts, where it could be a real problem taking into account rivets and other small details.

@tcinla Thanks Tom! The reason I was curios about that hand pump because you can build only one early Mk.I out of the two because of different fuselage parts in this dual-combo box. So the second one definitely should be for the BoB. Also, I would wait for your review of this kit. Let's call it "accidentally", but I've ordered another one "Spitfire story" box.

@j-healy I couldn't agree more, John – exhausts parts on the VIII/IX are over-engineered.

The paint job has started. Black and white fast recognition pattern is on the way.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great looking innards Dmitry. I may have to overlook my self-imposed buying ban

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Dimitry, if you want an extra of the early birds, Eduard does offer "overtrees" when they release a kit. For non-members this is usually offered for a month or so, and for "BFC" members they are available as long as stock lasts, so do not fear - it is possible to get one without having to buy the dual-box. I like your pre-black paint a lot!