Su-27UB

Started by Richard Mcstay · 41 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The photo etch canopy equipment proved really fiddly but I got there in the end. The only way I could see it being done was to paint the pieces individually first. They were attached using both PVA and super glue, taking care not to get any super glue on the clear parts.
    Next it's going to get really fiddly... the ladders.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

It's been a pleasure following this build, Richard. Please feel free to stretch it out a little longer. Just love the detail work on the canopy, especially.

• Profile Photo

Cheers mate, much appreciated! Still a bit more to do. Ladders and tow bar then it’s done .

• Profile Photo

Seriously, it's been superb. Already looking forward to your next build, Richard.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. I try my best! Much appreciated. I'm going to do the LaFerrari for my next one. The kit looks amazing and I've went to town on aftermarket goodies, so it would be a crime not to post a WIP on that.

The ladders weren't actually as difficult as I thought they were going to be. Still fiddly mind, but I had envisaged a crumpled mess of photoetch... I used Microscale foil adhesive to fix the steps, much more forgiving than super glue and it takes a bit longer to set.

The resin tow bar was simple enough to put together once carefully removed from the sprues, however there was an absence of any legible instructions. I had to resort to reference pictures on the internet to assemble it.

Once the ladders and tow bar are painted, then we are done! I'll have to wait for optimum lighting and wind conditions to photograph it outdoors in the booth. Bearing in mind I live in the north of England, that could be September/ October if we are lucky... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Just love reading about and looking at your work, Richard. Bring on the prancing stallion - 1,000 horses. I'm in.

Those ladders are outstanding. I know how difficulty this work is and you are being very modest in regard to your skill.

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much David! I'll take the compliment, however I feel that my work is very average compared to others here at imodeler. Every build is still a learning curve!
    That's the ladders and tow bar painted, and I'm calling it finished. I'll get it in the booth in the morning hopefully. Weather permitting...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Those etched steps look brilliant, Richard, as does the resin tow bar, looking forward to seeing the finished model in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

Cheers George! I’m itching to take the photos, but it’s drizzle outside, with some wind thrown in for good measure.
    I can’t get the lighting right inside unfortunately.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice work on the tow bar and ladders. How come that you didn't sand and polish the seam in the middle of the canopy. With so much details on the canopy itself, it would be pity to have it there.

• Profile Photo

Cheers mate. I tried sanding a seem once before and it didn’t really go very well...