Super Hornet

Started by IAN JACKSON · 25 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year ago:

Read a lot of 'in box' and build reviews of the Meng 'Super Bug', but thought now that I've got it to the point where I can start throwing primer & paint around, I'd just share some thoughts on the construction.

First is the detail - it's very, very good, especially in the wheel bays & undercarriage, lots of nice touches, crisp and for the most part, very accurate. That extends to most of the fuselage details although I can't understand why Meng chose not to represent any of the nav lights in clear plastic - cost saving I guess (?). Whilst the cockpit detail is accurate it is a little soft on the side panels and the decals for some of the MFD's are a little cartoonish.

Fit - well I've read and seen builds where it's described as 'incredible' and then by others as 'average' - maybe that reflects builders expectations, or their actual experience... for me I found the fit of the undercarriage especially, simply superb. But something simple like the centreline pylon, and the radome were surprisingly poor. Overall though, I found construction, easy, free of major hassles and well engineered (yes I know it's a cliché, but it's true).

Yes filler is needed, especially behind the wings where the upper and lower fuselage were a little warped on my kit, but nothing like the Airfix Vampire that I recently finished. It's all in the pics, you can see where filling is needed most. Definitely not a deal-breaker IMHO.

To get to this point has taken about twenty-five to thirty hours at the bench - because I work slowly and because I've built every sub-assembly for the airframe and also built, painted and decalled all the loadout.

Not sure when painting will happen as the kids are off school for Easter from tomorrow so bench time will be limited for a couple of weeks. Please feel free to make any comments and/or ask any questions. Cheers from New Zealand.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking superb so far, my friend @ij001! Tge kit looks pretty good, but it is your supreme job that yields this amazing result. Have a great Easter!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Great entry and ditto start, Ian @ij001
    Happy Eastern and enjoy the kids being at home.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year ago:

Super Bug update:
    Tamiya acrylics and Mr Color lacquers applied and sealed with a couple of coats of satin clear.
    Lots of pre & post-shading to get the effects. Very pleased I took the time to mask & spray the RAM coating on the flying surfaces, makes quite a difference.

Next I'l start with the oils to try and simulate the grease and dirt around the access panels, after that a few days to dry, another satin coat, then more oils for streaks and stains under the engines..

Comments & questions encouraged. Cheers from a very sunny NZ.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

The shading effects are really nice, Ian @ij001
    Also the worn effects in the wheel well do look superb.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking superb, my friend @ij001!
    Best from an equally sunny Greece!

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Using oils, I changed the tone of the paintwork, just seemed too 'blueish' to my eye, especially the top-side. Went from panel to panel applying and blending off-white and pale grey oils, straight from the tube. Missed-out some panels, over-emphasised others etc, etc.

BIG question, and I really need folks input here - are the panel-lines still too prominent ? - I'm genuinely unsure.

Have a great weekend, cheers from NZ.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

That's a wonderful technique and the result is superb, my friend @ij001! To me, the panel lines look perfect.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Result is great, Ian @ij001
    To me the panel lines do look great this way, a well worn Hornet

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Paint effects look very good, Ian @ij001. Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

...and it keeps getting grubbier !

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks amazing, my friend @ij001!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very nice result on those effects, Ian @ij001

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

More great work, Ian (@ij001). I forgot to comment last time, but the panel lines look very good to me. What are you using to grubby the surface?

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hey George:
    For the stains, simply W&N and Rowley oils straight from the tube in tiny, tiny specks which I 'work-in' with a stiff, 10mm flat brush - I use this brush only for this work - no thinner on the brush at all. When it looks right I use a soft round No5 sable brush to gently blend the edges to smoothen the transitions.

HTH.