Tamiya 1/48th Mitsubishi Ki-46 Recon Dinah #61045

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 46 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Next Tamiya kit in the stash is the Dinah, first time ever in building any Dinah. Looking forward to getting started. First thing I notice when cracking the box is the lighter grey plastic, not the dark grey styrene that seemed typical Tamiya like the Mustang prior and checked the Corsair the next kit in line is also the dk grey. Let see what is in the box. Typical Tam instruction sheet, Techmod Decal sheet #48-111 Recon Dinah's. I will build the first choice on the sheet. Eduard's cockpit zoom set FE266. Clear Sprue which is very nice, Tamiya provides a kit with a little more parts this time, larger air frame, more complicated aircraft more detailed parts. Looking forward to getting this started.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Man we must be somehow related... I seriously just had this kit out a few hours ago, and it's now on the "soon to be built" pile !

I even dug out my aftermarket decal set... A few days ago I did a lot of color research on what colors were used in various places.

I'll be following along for sure... Looks like a great kit !

• Profile Photo

That is amazing Louis, ready to start on this, a little more challenging with more parts to work with compared to the Spitfires and Mustang just completed. Feels like fun.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

The aircraft identification folks in WW II said the "Dinah had a fine lina", and certainly that is true! Particularly the rounded as opposed to stepped front canopy. If you want the stepped version, Tamiya has the one with the great hulking cannon sticking out of the top, like the German schlage musik. Not a success against the B-29, like most of the makeshift night fighters they came up with.
    Prettiest plane the IJA came up with.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Great choice and nice to see this unusual subject here. The straight leading edge of the wings put me in mind of the Mossie, but she really is a unique, elegant looking bird. Looking forward to seeing your build develop.

• Profile Photo

It is the sleekest looking twin engine plane in this era. I love the Mosquito's, Lightnings and Beaufighters, but this Dinah looks fast even when it's sitting on the tarmac. Only other plane that looks fast is the HE-111 with it's all glass nose.

• Profile Photo

Bernard true that. I have the other Dinah as well which will be awhile before I get to it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Chuck, the second issue had a choice of propellers. How you'd figure which is beyond me. Although I really like the leaping tiger, the 3 legged crow is kinda neat! I hear that the person who painted the tigers on the aircraft tails made each one subtly different.

• Profile Photo

That is an interesting bit of trivia regarding the tigers. Just like the AVG Flying Tigers, each plane shark mouths were unique. Still love to read about this little bit of history.

• Profile Photo

The "Leaping Tiger" would work in the Year of the Cat GB, if you decided to go that route. These planes were very sleek for sure...

• Profile Photo

Unlike US, RAF and Luftwaffe where the interior colors can be pretty much standard and known what to use when working the cockpit. Not so much Japanese, not always Aotake, or a tan/green shade. For the Dinah where there isn't a lot of information. Though reading up on Britmodeler, research there seemed to point to a shade similar to "Nakajima Interior Green". I chose Tamiya "Deep Green" to use for the interior, but since finding more images of the cockpit, it may be too dark. Regardless it is what it is. All interior spaces as well as the landing gear bays were painted Deep Green. An image of the actual interior color of a Dinah that is in the Cosford Aviation Museum in England. More to follow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks very good to me Chuck... I think it's very close to the shade of green on the plane in England. Looks like your Dinah is moving right along.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis despite a little more bits and pieces compared to the single seat fighters that Tamiya produces and assembles rather quickly with their engineering philosophy. The build will start to progress quicker once the interior components are installed.

• Profile Photo

Next to start assembling the cockpit. Removing the details off the side consoles to prepare to add the PE replacements. Really does enhances a decent cockpit. Adding the lap belts to the kit provided seat then installed. The control yoke, and pedals are then installed. A little wash to highlight the interior. Silver pencil to show wear areas on the floor. Put that aside and next to add the bits on the cockpit side panels. With that huge glass forward canopy most of this will be seen through the glass. Next to work on the rear compartment. The seat is installed first then add the lap belts. Then the camera is installed and highlighted. Forward bulkhead is installed and test fit the LH fuselage side for proper alignment. Next the rear bulkhead is assemble is what I assume is some sort of stowage shelf. The radio rack and start on the PE bits on the side panels. With this process done, next time we start installing the sub assy's into the fuselage. More to follow.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

This is one of the sleekest Japanese WW II aircraft and one of my favourites. Looking forward to the completed model! Have it in the stash so will follow your posts.