Tamiya F-14B (Conversion) 1/48, The Fighting 103.

Started by Harvey R. · 141 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Cold War, F-14, Jolly Roger, Tamiya, tomcat, Top Gun, VF-103
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for the opinions folks! You all made good points, I agree with you Spiros that in all likeliness the flat aspect of PE wouldn't be as noticeable once its put in a cockpit, with two guys, and a canopy of the top. As Erik mentioned the PE being used in parts that are missing like handles and the circuit breakers by the pilots legs (which undoubtedly won't be see due to said legs) is a good idea. George, I actually looked into getting them as Quinta sell them, however I wasn't sure on the PE when I bought it and the Quinta set is triple the price of the Eduard one when shipping is included, and would come from Russia not the UK. I did want to try them though as I'm seeing a lot of adverts for them, but haven't done enough research and just assumed they were largely similar to PE just applied differently. That being said if they do have better 3D details compared to PE I may have to pick some up in the future if someone does one for a Corsair.

In the end I'm still on the fence, I also asked on my Instagram and for 76 votes vs 49 for PE, but that being said I got 5 messages about doing the painting rather than PE. In the end I'm still undecided but I painted up one of the panels to what will pretty much be the final finish, coloured buttons where required, a wash, and some drybrushing. I loaded up DCS as a reference and had a look around, I think they're both equally matched in detail honestly. On one hand the Tamiya set replaces some things with approximate shapes rather than being 100% accurate (as is expected with something this small) but naturally the colours can be as accurate as I can get it, whereas the PE is naturally way more accurate in buttons and dials but I feel its a slightly wrong colour. All in all I'd say the Tamiya kit realistically does as good as can possibly be achieved with a cockpit in 1/48 in terms of accuracy, also not particularly suprising from Tamiya.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The Tamiya panel looks very realistic, Harvey! Decision on which side psnel to use is hard!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Still tend to say that your handpainted panel is preferred, Harvey.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Extreme close-ups on the colored photoetch accentuates the textured surface, so I think they would look fine in the model, Harvey (@scalerambush). I still think your hand-painting looks as good, or better.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words folks regarding the painting, here's a little update.

To Paint or Photoetch, Part II

I decided to go ahead and paint some more and get a feel for it, naturally I'm beginning to become a bit fond of the painted plastic now some of it has been completed. So far I've cracked open the Citadel paints and the side panels and the sidewalls have been painted, washed and weathered. I've also gone ahead and started doing the same for instrument panel, but so far they've just been painted.

Magnetic Ordinance

I've also gone ahead and tested magnets for removable ordinance, 1.5mm magnets fit fine in the fuel tank but are too big for the pylon! It doesn't fit perfectly as the magnet is a little wonky, but a few adjustments and it should be fine.

• Profile Photo

Love your painted panels, my friend @scalerambush!
    Looking at your magnets attachments implementarion with pure interest!

• Profile Photo

Great looking instruments, Harvey.
    Like the idea about the magnets, didn't know they existed in these small dimensions.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

magnetise! magnificent work on the cockpit too.

• Profile Photo

Instrument panels look great, Harvey (@scalerambush). Where did you every find magnets small enough to put in the pylons and ordnance?

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments folks, hopefully I can finish these panels off tonight.
    @fiveten, Happy Greek Easter! I'd be working on those instruments panels if I wasn't full of food...

@gblair These magnets I found on ebay, really cheap honestly. I just typed in the dimensions and they came up, for about £3 you end up with 20 magnets which should be enough for this build. I just bought 50(!) 1mm x 1mm neodymium magnets for £4 which I'll use in the pylons as the 1.5mm is slightly too big. The 1.5mm and 2mm I've got are surprisingly strong!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress Harvey. I like the look of your painted panels. I can say too, sometimes there is no shame in using portions of the PE along with painted details, in the same way you might use decals to spruce up some details.

With the magnets, I've done this on a few builds, all of which had pylons too narrow for the smallest magnets I could find. What I've done in these cases is - If the ordinance isn't too heavy - get thin gage steel rod (just narrower than the pylon) and cut them flush on the end. Then drill with the appropriately sized drill and CA into place.

With heavier ordinance this can be a bit finicky, so test first for something like the fuel tanks. Also, goes without saying, make extra certain that you've got your polarity right, otherwise you'll be pickling your bombs at the wrong time. 😉

Great progress so far!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the Greek Easter wishes, @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo

Some more progress to report! Also that is a good idea Andrew, I'll look into it. Currently I'm testing the magnets on the fuel tanks as they are the easiest to just glue in place if I decide not to and are the ones I'm most likely to always leave on, but the rod would be a smart solution for those thin pylons!

The Cockpit and Forward Fuselage

She does indeed be big.

The Tomcats cockpit has been mostly assembled, ideally I'll put a clear coat over it but I generally forget to do this as it doesn't particularly matter on an area that won't be touched. One thing I do like to do is use a gloss, or Micro Krystal Klear and put a tiny drop on each instrument to give it a bit of very subtle shine so that's next on the to do list. I also need to paint the base of the joystick the same fabric material as on the sidewalls which I decided to do a darker grey. Overall its shaping up nicely, I may use the PE and put in the missing circuit breakers by the pilots legs though naturally when he is shoved in you won't see them. Regardless, it's going well and fits great. The cockpit hasn't been glued onto the front wheel bay, nor have the fuselage halves been glued, but as a size comparison I've put it next to another US Navy fighter that is slightly older...

Now I really need to get on the ball and order some paint for this bird, I was originally going to go for MRP but they seem to be out of stock of most of the required colours. I may have to use Tamiya but finding paint comparisons are hard as a lot of forum threads seem to just say 'don't use Tamiya and buy this random other paint', which isn't particularly helpful.

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Awesome interior, Harvey.

• Profile Photo

Interior looks great, Harvey (@scalerambush). It seems like most places are out of the colors of paint that most people use, especially white, black, and clear. I like Tamiya and still use it when I can, but their biggest problem is having a small color range. Most of the time you can still find the colors you need, even if they don't use the appropriate name. I also use AK Real Colors, which are an acrylic lacquer similar to Tamiya, but they have a huge range of colors. I have never used MRP, so I can't comment on them. I think we all get used to specific brands that give us good results, and we don't stray far away from those brands.