Tamiya F4U-1, 1/48. A Trio of Corsairs for the Collection.

Started by Harvey R. · 167 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U, navy, Pacific, RNZAF, USN, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Afternoon folks, with the Tomcat done I think it's time to start my next project, not just one but three tamiya Corsairs! Generally my preferred way of building is 2 models at a time, but I did previously build 3 Corsairs at a time which would end up being my very first posts on this lovely website, and this time I'm sticking to 3 of the same kits which should simplify things.

I've previously mentioned that I have a long term goal of building a 1/48 model for every variant of Corsair, sadly some (XF4U-3) are impossible for me to get thanks to brexit, whilst others (XF4U) may prove to be possible in the future. For now, rather than start the post-war F4U-5 variants I've decided to stick with the classic F4U-1 as I'm not quite finished on that airframe. As such, I present 3 different builds that will hopefully be fun, challenging, and very challenging.

F4U-1A, 'White 29' of VF-17, Flown by Lt. Ira Kepford.

A previous build was 'Big Hog', and this was an important build for me due to a variety of personal reasons but one thing I learnt was that I needed an upgrade in equipment. A year later I finished my F4U-2, with great MRP paints, an improved understanding of shading, and a fancy 0.2mm airbrush. Whilst I think 'Big Hog' came out well, I can't help but feel I could do it a lot better a year later and as such this model is partially about showing the improvements a year of being in the hobby can make, as well as practice for a future build.

As such this model will show off everything I've learnt since the last Jolly Roger Corsair, I'll also be using some resin in the form of a entirely aftermarket cockpit. I've never really worked with resin beyond the previous F-14s modification and some resin wheels, so this will be a bit of a new thing for me but flows nicely into a future build of a Corsair under maintence which I'd like to do. Furthermore, I'll also be using this build to use riveting for the first time, this sounds like a fairly difficult thing to do so I figured using it on a kit I'm familiar with (now that I have 5 completed) is probably the best chance. Depending on the results of riveting will determine whether the other two kits get the same treatment or not.

All in all, this kit will be done the same as the previous 'Big Hog', on the ground with the cockpit open. For decals I naturally went the aftermarket route as required, and I may also buy aftermarket wheels. Unlike on 'Big Hog' I'll be using chipping fluid to produce the very noticeable wear and tear as seen in photographs.

F4U-1C, VF-85 aboard USS Shangri-la.

One annoyingly absent kit from the world is the F4U-1C, perhaps the rarest kind of Corsair that isn't a night fighter or prototype, but I need to get the -1C checked off the list and the best starting point is the humble Tamiya F4U-1D. One issue is the lack of any sort of aftermarket or conversion sets for the -1C, meaning that cannon tubes will largely have to be scratchbuild out of styrene with some random 20mm barrels put into them, ideally I feel a Mustang Mk.Ia's 20mm barrels and tubes would look best but I couldn't find any so a Hurricane Mk.IIc brass set will make do.

The biggest issue by far is the lack of useful, usable resources online that don't conflict other sources. The -1C has 4 bulges on the wings for the cannons, but where are they? What shape are they? What size are they? I had no idea and after weeks of searching, I remembered that WW2Aircraft forum existed. This people are wizards, I asked a question on there a year ago about one specific airframe, a Fiseler Storch with only 1 photo online, only to immediately be told about a book with another photograph. After weeks of searching image boards, Google, forums, Pinterest, going deep into page 10+ of Google, and even using the search function in WW2Aircraft forums, I finally made a post asking for help over there and got a reply in 8 hours telling me about a book with what I need, and a photo of the wing. So, with that book on order, the original plan of building the 1C wings first to see how they turn out is on hold until it arrives.

As for the scheme I don't really have one in mind, I was thinking of recreating the only F4U-1C's ace but his aircraft is just a completely normal Sea Blue with no notable markings like most aircraft were. I think I'll go for one from VF-85, as USS Shangri-la aircraft have the lightning bolt marking to recognise them which helps break up the otherwise plain looking scheme. I'll likely put a drop tank or bomb on this one, and will definitely put some (more on this later) rockets, this model will be displayed in flight in a slight dive.

F4U-1A, NZ5272/NZ5307, No.18 Squadron, RNZAF

This one is an interesting one, and possibly one of the more recognised Corsairs from New Zealand. This Corsair is actually two Corsairs, NZ5307 recieved extensive tail damage and was sent to the boneyard, and NZ5272 suffered a landing gear collapse during a night flying exercise and was too sent to the boneyard. Following some new bolts, Kiwi ingenuity, and presumably some duct tape and a whole Corsair was put together and sent off to fight.

I'm not 100% sure on this one, there's a lot of interesting New Zealand schemes to choose from. Whilst my main long term goal is a model of every Corsair version, producing one for each nation that used the aircraft is also an interesting project and the RNZAF was the third largest user behind Britain and of course America. For now, let's tentatively call it NZ5307 with a possible colour change later. This one will likely be in flight, probably with a 146gal fuel tank, though I'd quite like to do NZ5440 'Lil Audrey' due to the interesting triple fuel tank loadout in the picture below.

This one will be a fairly straightforward build, the most relaxing build of the three. No aftermarket will be use on this build beside a Montex mask set with the decals and mask for this airframe, I got this set ages ago as it also came with the masks I used on my Fleet Air Arm model.

Honourable Mentions

There are a total of 5 more F4U-1s on my list which are divided into the trio and later pair. The two left after these three will be 'SS-11 Sally', a Corsair built from boneyard scrap by Marines at Service Station 11 and sports a unique aluminium drab paint scheme, as well as having no weaponry. This aircraft was repainted blue and saw service as a reconnaissance aircraft.

That model should be an easy build, which pairs it up nicely with the very difficult plan of building FG-1D, appropriately serialled 'G-FGID', which is one of two Corsairs in the UK and the only airworthy one. This will be done based on a photo I took in 2020 where it was undergoing some maintenence and so the engine, fuel tank, and various other hatches were open and visable, meaning an Aries complete resin set is required which cost some 2.5x the amount of the actual kit! Regardless, I'm planning to develop skills here with these builds to allow me to build G-FGID in its shiny modern day paint.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, time for these 3 Corsairs. I'll post some references below to help you see what I'm looking at. I started a little bit of work a couple of days ago and will post this as a seperate reply to make formatting a bit easier. See you along for the journey!

17 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

First Steps

First things first, let's get some housekeeping out of the way, these are the basic steps that you should do first if you haven't built a Tamiya Corsair yet (which you should). Firstly you have this air scoop on the right side of the nose, this is to be removed unless you're doing the F4U-2 nightfighter. Cut this off and sand it down, don't forget to do this unless you want to be like me who forgets it every single time because its on a later instruction step and is a very easy caption to miss.

Secondly, check your references or instructions if you're doing an out of box scheme, see what's the situation for the antenna. The rear antenna has a divet in the left fuselage half which needs to be cut out, do this now at the beginning. Once again, every single time I've build this model (5 times now) I've forgot that antenna hole and had to drill it at the very end, not the most difficult thing to do but might as well do it proper this one time. Also check whether the aircraft had a front antenna, in this case our Kiwi and 1C have front and rear antennas, White 29 has neither. Check your references and see how to handle this, you may want to glue the antenna in now and then cut off the actual antenna at the base leaving the hole filled in (trust me, works best if you do this now before you paint the model), that being said looking at some photos you'll see a hole where the antenna should be so I won't plug the hole in the model this time.

Thirdly, if building a 1D (or 1C, or -4 if you want to shell out for that expensive and rare resin set), you'll need to cut out the hole for stall strip to glue into on the right wing. Again, much easier to do this before gluing the wing together as I found out... So I've done that now for the 1C wing, awaiting the wing to be assembled and the part to be glued on.

Fourthly and finally, drill out any holes you need. These will be the drop tank/bomb and rocket mounting points on the 1D kit, and the bomb/tank points on the 1A if so required. Note that the 1D had mounting points regardless of if they were used or not, the drop tank/bomb mounts were couldn't really be removed without a lot of hassle, and whilst I'd never say never when it comes to WWII subjects as someone out there undoubtedly has a photo to prove me wrong but generally the rocket racks weren't removed as it wasn't worth the effort for something with such a minor affect on the airframe.

And that should be it, all the basic stuff out of the way that should be done for every build.

F4U-1C

First thing I did was to build one wing and work out how I'm going to modify it, in hindsight it would have been best to modify the gun ejection ports first and then glue the halves together, oh well.

Notably I filled in the gun ports, I used Sprue-Glue (tamiya Extra thin with sprue melted into it) to attach some small strips of spare parts into the port, and then did several layers of sprue-glue before sanding it down.

And then I remembered that the boffins over at WW2AircraftForum exist, and got sent this photo from 'The Vought F4U Corsair - A Comprehensive Guide' from SAM Publication In hindsight I would have preferred to have got the book this is from before starting the wing, but I had no idea it existed. Regardless, the wing is on hold until said book arrives to see if there's any more information.

One curious thing about the F4U-1C is the rockets, every source online says it had 2 mounting points per wing for a total of 4 HVAR rockets, yet this photo clearly shows 4 mounting points on one wing, with the inboard one bent to the side. I drilled the holes out for all 4 HVARs with the idea to fill in the ones if the book says most had 2 per wing, I'd personally prefer to 2 per wing as it looks more unique.

Comparing the wing photo to my previous best reference, War Thunder (which is an awful reference at best, but better than no reference at the time) I can see that the cannon bulges are in a different place and that the ammunition hatches are different. More on the 1C when the book arrives.

Until then I've begun removing the resin for the 1A cockpit, resin isn't the most enjoyable thing for me to work with. Once it's all sanded down I'll post an update.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Interesting project, and a very comprehensive text so far. For the few like me that know very little about the Corsair, this is a valuable thread.
    I’m looking forward for further progress

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I agree with Pedro! An amazing multi project, my friend @scalerambush. Coupled with your meticulous research and skills, your thread will be a delight to follow.
    Looming forward to them!

• Profile Photo

Thanks folks, will be good to see you along and if anything here is helpful to you, all the better.

Speaking of helpful, my book arrived today. The delivery said it would arrive next Saturday but I'm not complaining in the slightest.

The Vought F4U Corsair, A Comprehensive Guide

This book has a lot of photos, great reference images of original photos and from museum types and goes into detail about what is wrong with many museum examples but shows what could be useful from them. It has a suprisingly large section on both the XF4U-1, and the F2G prototypes. Of course its got information about the 1C which is what I'm interested in. I don't have a scanner, so phone camera will have to do for now.

Here's some cannon barrels, to my eye they look somewhat different to the prototype F4U-1C (the 3 toned camouflage one I've posted above), the cannon shrouds are a lot shorter than on the prototype.

One of these images you've already seen, the other is a close up on the cannon bulges themselves.

This photograph shows USS Shangri-la's flight deck. Note the removed outer set of pylons for rockets, on '55' you can clearly see the two plates (each with two pylons) for the outer rockets have been removed and quickly covered over. This suggests to me, and that fact the 1C was put into production after the 1D was, that they likely took a 1D wing, modified it for the cannons, with airframes possibly having the outer pylons removed in the field. That being said, perhaps the crashed Okinawa F4U-1C never had them removed but also perhaps never used them? Who knows. Either way I'll go with 2 rockets per wing.

Finally, here's some RNZAF.

This one you've already seen

This one I've seen, but not sure if I've shared it earlier or not. This shows the airframe shortly after being spliced together, but before being raised up on its wheels.

Also note this interesting scheme on this F4U-1D, where clearly the cowl flaps and front of the cowling are from one aircraft, the centre panels of the cowling from another, and neither of these line up with the aircraft itself. And again, that interesting triple tank setup.

The F4U-1/1A had provisions for a single centreline tank, or eventually a bomb rack. The F4U-1D had the twin underbelly pylons for a fuel tank or bomb, the early F4U-1Ds kept this original centreline mount so you can find interesting loadouts of triple bombs, triple tanks, or a combination as desired, I can't quite clearly tell if the 1C had this but I imagine since it was based on the 1D that they did. Eventually this centrline mount was deleted from the 1D production which is why you don't see it all that often in photographs and wasn't carried forward to the F4U-4.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

This is going to be a very helpful thread, Harvey. @scalerambush
    So much background information that you already went through.
    Definitely going to follow your tripple build.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Hopefully people find some kind of usefulness out of this, at the very least I hope someone stumbles across these reference photos on their own builds cause I sure had a hard enough time getting them.

The Wheel Doors

The Tamiya Corsair is many things, but it isn't designed to be built wheels up. The wheels and flaps are both meant to be down. On my previous F4U-1 build, the first Tamiya Corsair I built, I went for my usual method of sanding until the doors fit and using blu-tack to prop the doors in position as they were glueing. I had huge gaps and filled them in, and eventually just drew the doors on with a pencil!

For this I wanted to got a smarter approach, so I got to work experimenting. The main doors have a tab that goes into a hole in the sidewall of the wheel well to prop it in the right angle, I sanded this down slightly and then glued each door into position. This worked well, I then went round the doors with Sprue-Glue to fill in the gaps somewhat, and also added a bit of styrene for support. I added a styrene support for the gear leg part of the door and glued it in. This worked somewhat well but I had issues putting the top half of the wing on as it was just stuck against something, I then removed all the tabs once the doors were glued and cut off the door tabs. It worked, it fit, but it felt quite weak.

Attempt number 2 built on this, I'm happy with the result and will use this going forward.

1. Remove the main doors from the sprue, sand down the locating tab slightly so it's in line with the door rather than at angle as it is by default.
    2. Glue the doors in position, this is easy enough.
    3. Add styrene to support between the two doors, preventing them from being pushed in. Add styrene strips in the little divet between the door and the wing, once again preventing the part from being pushed in.
    4. Add styrene approx 4.7mm square to go over at the very from where the top of the landing gear cover would go, unlike the main doors this small landing gear cover has nothing to glue onto so this is required if you want to get the cover to actually glue to anything. With the styrene in place, glue the door to it.
    5. Go round all the doors with Tamiya extra-thin on the external side, a healthy dosage of Sprue-Glue is useful if not absolutely required for the internal side for strong support.
    6. The locating tabs on the outermost main door should be removed as they will go over the line where part of the wing fold mechanism would go, you can do this at the beginning if you'd like or do it after it's all glued and set in place.

That should be it, doors done. I messed up and got the wings mixed up, not a huge issue but this means I have to fill in a hole I drilled that isn't needed for 'White 29'. Basically I glued the top and bottom half of the 'RNZAF' one together, but decided its far easier to glue the doors on before you do that, and as such since 'White 29' is wheels down I decided its best to fill in the hole and use it for that model and start fresh for the wheels up '1C' and 'RNZAF' Corsairs. Little bit of confusion but not the end of the world.

The Window

One notable thing is this little window, it may look useless and really it was. It wasn't well liked by crews, the Corsair wasn't really capable of carrying bombs on the F4U-1 at first (technically they had two tiny wing racks but I don't think they were ever used beyond F4U-2 night annoyance raids) since the centreline mount wasn't a thing until 1943. Another issue is that the Corsair, like many warbirds, was a very oily aircraft. This combined with operations from sand and dirt runways meant the window was had a poor view at the beginning, quickly worsened by oil and sandblasting on takeoff. As such the window was often painted over on the F4U-1s and 1As, sometimes even field replaced by scrap metal. Early into the 1A production the window was deleted for a sheet metal, carried on into the 1C and 1D, and then this sheet metal of the same shape of the window completely removed on the -4 with it not having a square there at all.

Regardless, if you're modelling a F4U-1 you may want to glue this in and mask it off, or just paint over it, your call. For an F4U-2 it's your choice, keep in mind the -2 was exclusively extremely early production aircraft, personally I'd keep it as a window (I painted over it without thinking, oh well). For a -1A I'd say paint over it unless you're deliberately doing an extremely early initial production version, or you have a reference that shows it, for a -1D paint over it always. For these 3 it's getting painted over every time, so just glue it in with your standard plastic glue of choice and call it a night.

• Profile Photo

Wow, my friend @scalerambush! What a detailed and informative thread!

Loved what you did with the doors, cannot get better than that, also describing all the attempts you made and how they worked for you.

It's really interesting how "difficult" proves to be to end up with a "quality" wheels-up model: kit manufacturers typically pay attention to wheels-down posture.

Thanks for all info taken from the book you bought. This book looks amazing, by the way.

Looking great so far!

• Profile Photo

Incredible work done, Harvey @scalerambush
    You did great on trying different methods to get the best result.
    Thanks for explaining all your work in such detail and for all the detailed pictures you shared.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Awesome project, Harvey (@scalerambush). I am really looking forward to seeing how you build these three kits. Corsairs are always cool, and have some interesting color schemes. I subscribe to a couple magazines from SAM Publications, so I get the ads for their books when they first come out. I have several and I think you will really be pleased with the information in them.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Seems like the Ironworks style works just fine here. And having the documentation at hand when taking on such a massive project is just something I would not be without. I shall be strapped in on this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind word folks, if anyone finds anything from this project useful then I'll be very pleased.

As I said earlier, make sure you drill all those holes early so you don't forget. Due to my switch around with the wing parts I absolutely forgot to drill some holes in the -1Cs set of wings, oops!

Regardless, after some busy days I'm looking forward to really steaming forward on the weekend.

Preparing for Paint

Resin. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used resin, and still have a few fingers spare. Regardless I felt this would be a decent time to practice as I at least know what to expect in the kit itself in regards to the build at fit. First thing was to completely sand down the fuselage detail which wasn't too hard, having a dremel sure helped though! Cutting and sanding the resin parts was next, definitely not my favourite part as dealing with all the dust is a pain. The Aires resin cockpit here is for the F4U-1 and has marked out parts to remove if you wish to have the bottom window cut out or the Birdcage style frame. Unfortunately, I didn't quite realise how thin the resin part was so the window accidently got opened up. One annoying issue is the very thin and fiddly rods that the seat would attach to were half broken in the packaging, so I broke off the other half. I'll need to find a suitable replacement or fashion one myself, I wonder what the thinnest styrene strip I can get is.. Or I'll just use the included kit part for this as it's not like the seat is overwhelmingly more detailed.

I also put together the 2 conventional plastic cockpits, I always build these as so and paint them fully in the two main halves before gluing.

Finally as you can see I made the wings wheels up for those that will be, and inserted the radiators. The Corsairs interesting wing design managed to put the oil cooler in a perfect place so that it didn't stick out and cause extra drag, with the gull-wing design having the benefit of reducing interference drag from the fuselage/wing join, pretty smart stuff from the boffins at Vought. In the Tamiya kit this leads to to having seperate radiator parts which don't perfectly fit, in fact I cut out all 6 radiator parts and chose the best one for each wing as they all have slightly different tolerances and fit the slightly different shaped hole. For anyone curious, I have noticed that no two Tamiya Corsairs are identical, the 'Big Hog' in my profile picture had the recessed details on the right side of the fuselage ever so slightly further back than the left side causing some interesting results.

Anyways, back on topic. Hopefully I get these parts sprayed tomorrow. For primer I might go fancy with some Mr.Surfacer 1500, but I find for interiors there isn't anything wrong with some Tamiya flat black to help the future layers to grip to and then calling it a day.

On another note I also bought some more 20mm cannons, again from a Hurricane brass set. This is due to me testing how I'd handle the cannons using available photos of the prototype 1C at the time, but the Corsair Comprehensive Guide shows the prototype seems to have a different setup to the production versions which have about half as much of the blast tube.

'Ersatz' Corsair

And here's my 4th Corsair build of this post. Well, obviously not really. I picked up this Revell 1/48 Bf109G and built it in about 20 minutes, it was probably the most fun I've ever had with a Revell kit as I'm definitely not a fan! I got this thing for extremely cheap at the equivalent price of lunch and a coffee, it's job will be to test some techniques with painting in regards to chipping fluid as well as a testbed for riveting, something I would like to try on these Corsairs. I've heard some people say riveting works best on bare-plastic, some say it works best on primer, I've not a clue so I'll give each side a different treatment.

• Profile Photo

That's some amazing progress, my friend @scalerambush!
    Yes, thin resin parts are a pain: apart from being too fragile and difficult to handle, they buckle over time if weight is applied (ie, if they are thin landing gear legs).

• Profile Photo

Good progress, Harvey @scalerambush
    It is a good idea to have a cheaper build present to test on, I do use a Spitfire MkII for that which has seen already several colors and weathering try outs.

• Profile Photo

I might get some resin wheels for one of the Corsairs, maybe I'll splash out and see if I can get some brass landing legs.

I really need to get some mask sets though, but I think they're not longer in production and are getting more difficult to find sadly.

I've always like the idea of these paint mule kits, I had an Airfix Bf109 I half attempted to build as a teenager which ended up as one as well as a failed Special Hobby Bu181, but they have too many layers of paint on them now!

Weird how it always ends up being German aircraft for some reason...