Tamiya P-51B Mustang 1/48 - Mojo Restoration

Started by Carl Smoot · 41 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months ago:

After an extensive project on my AMT A-20 inflight diorama, and then a lot of upgrade work still in progress on my box scale Constellation, I knew that I needed something to keep me from getting burned out. What better than Tamiya's P-51B Mustang in 1/48 scale.

This kit is so well engineered and goes together very easily. Even, better, there are not a huge number of parts. I will be adding a few upgrades in the interior (seat belts, instrument panel, and a small amount of photoetch), but my goal with this build is to make it easy, keep it relatively simple, and use it as a means of further practicing my olive drab painting and weathering (interior and exterior).

First up, a test fit. Like I said, well engineered. Everything just clicks together. BTW, this is not only my first ever Tamiya P-51 build, but it's the first P-51 period that I've built since I was a teeenager back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. I know there's a few issues with accuracy on this kit, but certainly nothing I am going to worry about on this build.

After some preparation work (including determining which PE I wanted to include) and removing detail that would get in the way of the PE, I started painting. One of my goals after the A-20 build was to do a better weathering job on the interior and to make it less dark. Everything was painted with Tamiya paints, adding some lightening into the colors after base coats were applied. Parts were masked as needed and additional colors were painted. Afterwards, I added a wash, and some oil color weathering including a shades of green (highlights and mottling of the paint) and tan (to simulate dust).

And now assembly begins. First is the wings which I will complete including any seam clean up before working on the fuselage. I will not be adding riveting nor worrying about panel line filling on the wing surfaces. Like I said, mojo restoration.

I'll have more photos soon as I get more work done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

What better mojo restoration than a Tamiya 1/48 Mustang, my friend @clipper! Great progress so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Definitely an amazing kit, Carl @clipper
    Recently finished this same kit and I enjoyed every bit out of it.
    From Tom @tcinla, I got the information that you need to remove the "zits on top of the wing which were present on a postwar configuration of a restored warbird used by Tamiya as a reference.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Mojo restoration continues. Although, I am not really having a mojo issue right now. But building this Tamiya Mustang has been a real treat. So much easier than the other kits I've built over the last several years.

I got all the interior painting and weathering completed.

Then assembly of the wing and fuselage. Just a small amount of seam work on the wing. The fuselage needed a bit more, mostly on the lower surface. I've got a bit more on the wing and fuselage joint at the lower front to deal with.
    After that I will be restoring any damaged details on the seam areas. I'll also be doing the Mr Surfacer wipe seam filling approach on the wing roots and tail plane seams.

I used a Eduard photoetch set to dress up the cockpit. I used the instrument panel and cut away the black parts from the PE and used those. I saw no reason to try and match the color of the PE interior green which looked wrong to me anyway.

It won't be long before I can start painting this.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks awesome, Carl (@clipper). It is hard to go wrong with a Tamiya Mustang. Looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking awesome indeed, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent work on the interior, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks George (@gblair), John (@johnb), and Spiros (@fiveten). It's moving along quickly and was the right choice for this particular reason to build (mojo restoration). I started thinking about what I might do next for this sort of build while I continue to tackle my other two longer term projects. I realized that in addition to the Mustang, I have not built an ME-109 or F6F Hellcat in my adult life. I have some candidates of those I am considering. I'm leaning toward the 109 right now, but we'll see.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 1 week ago:

All the small detail work is completed on the Mustang and I've masked off and pre-painted (and installed) the canopies. Then further masking today and the first coat of primer. I have a few small ghost seams to deal with on the underside but the rest of it looks ready to go.

Sorry there's not more to show yet. Life keeps getting in the way!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Solid progress, my friend @clipper! Looks great!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

You are progressing nicely, Carl @clipper
    Lookinjg forward to the next step.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Looks great, Carl (@clipper). If I was as organized as you are, I wouldn't need to keep looking for parts that "walk away" from the workbench. I hate it when everything looks smooth and ready to paint, and then a seam pops up that wasn't visible until the primer goes on.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Dyer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

The Tamiya P-51B is such a great kit and can be the basis of versions with a huge variety of paint and markings. This one is the second version of this kit I have built and is a Mustang III in RAF, 315 Squadron markings. You are doing such a great job on yours I can't wait to see it. Thank you for sharing the build with the rest of us!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Great work so far- I think I can feel my mojo increasing just scrolling through your progress. Keep it up!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks everyone. It is definitely nice to have something getting done quickly. I changed up my building process last year because I was averaging 1 to 2 models per year (usually 0 to 1). What really helped me was to get more organization so that set up and modeling sessions could focus entirely on building.

Two areas were particularly vexing for me before. Getting models out so I could continue on them (or finding a way to store them while I waited for things to dry / cure) and setting up for airbrushing. Airbrush setup was a real show stopper for me.

I organized my builds by buying several of the clear plastic containers that have been in my photos. I found these at Michaels craft stores, but they are also available online. THe beauty of these is they keep everything together, provide me with the ideal way to put a model away for paint curing without having to worry about dust, and they are stackable, so I can have several projects going simultaneously. It's simply a matter of pulling down the appropriate plastic case to do the work. This has been a real game changer for me because I can now work on several models without having to try to figure out where to place them when working on something else.

As for airbrushing, I overhauled my spray booth to get better airflow, added a window exhaust fan to aid in keeping the smell down, and organized my painting supplies so that everything was easy to get to and to use. I stared using small disposable pipettes for portioning out paints and mixing. I can now be setup to airbrush in less than 10 minutes, usually 5. Cleanup was modified to make sure I thoroughly spray out and wipe out residue after every session, which means I don't have to break down and clean my airbrush every time I use it (I used to do this). Now I will do a breakdown after a lengthy paint session or after an extended period of time.

All of this has improved my building to what may be 2 to 3 kits per year. If they were all like this Mustang, it would be higher but several of my projects are dioramas so they take longer.

Waffle mode off.