Tamiya RNZAF F4U-1D Corsair, 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 75 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The next Tamiya build after the Stealth fighter is kit #61061, F4U-1D Corsair, I will be building this as RNZAF tri color scheme.

So let's take a peek what's in the box. As I pop the lid.

I have had this kit in the stash since the mid-90's. Getting it from Discount Hobbies in Utica, NY, remember them. Good guy Jim. The instruction sheet is typical standard Tamiya layout, easy to follow fold out pages, and suggested paints using the Tamiya brand as a guide with mix ratios to acquire the correct shade.

Decals for 3 Glossy Sea Blue Schemes.

Sprue A, contains the fuselage, prop, main wheels, engines and some of the interior pieces of the cockpit.

Engines are 2 pieces, 2 rows of the radial cylinders, separate crank case cover, nice details that will be enhanced with washes.

The seat and side consoles.

The spoked wheels are correct for this version and also for the RNZAF bird.

The fuselage halves have molded in stringers in the cockpit area and tail wheel bay.

Tamiya gives the option of open or closed cowl flap rings.

Well detailed cowl

Sprue B, most of the wing components are on this sprue, flaps, center wing/fuselage panel, upper and lower wing panels, flaps and wing fold details.

The center wing/fuselage panel and wing intakes.

Wing fold inserts, nice details.

Inner and outer flaps, in the down position, they can be assembled in the up or neutral position.

The wheel bay interior built into the upper inner wing root panel.

Sprue C, contains the drop tanks, rear cockpit bulkhead, cockpit details and pylons.

Rear bulkhead and and rudder pedals.

Finally still in the bag to keep safe, the clear sprue.

next some pre painting as we get this first build of 2021 started.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

What a great entry, Chuck @uscusn!
    This looks like a wonderful, typical Tamiya kit, begging to be built!
    Your excellent skills will for sure produce a masterpiece!
    Thnaks for you usual detailed presentation, a joy to read.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to be following this build Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

A great aircraft which will look fantastic in the tri-color scheme, Chuck.
    Details are nicely present on the sprues.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    You have picked another great subject, one that is close to my heart as I am a huge fan of the Corsair. It happens to be my all time favorite plane. You can sign me up as watching this build too.

Are you going to build it with the wings open or folded ?

• Profile Photo

Spiros, it took almost 25 years after the kit appeared to finally get around to building one. With only the Academy, Monogram (the one with all; the toy like features) and an Otaki under my belt.

Erik, just as I look forward to all of your excellent 109's.

John, the heritage of the P-38 excellent build are in these 1/4 century old Corsairs. Imagine that.

Louis, it is my all time favorite of WWII vintage fighters, the Fw is next, then the Mustang. The wing's will be folded due to space limitations on the flight deck.

• Profile Photo

Before actual assembly, my typical routine of pre painting some of the interior components while on the sprue. Starting with Interior Green.
    The center wing area and engine cowling interior.

Interior components, seat, consoles, forward bulkhead,

Inside the fuselage halves, tail wheel bay, inside the cowl rings,

Finally the rear cockpit wall and seat support, control stick, pedals and foot trough.

Next with Tam Flat Black, the propeller and engine are airbrushed.

Next up, actual assembly...more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

And with prepaint over it is on to assembly - exciting Chuck @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice matt paintwork, Chuck
    Looking forward to the first construction.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

These Tamiya Corsairs actually assemble much nicer when you build them with the wings folded. Otherwise, if you build them with the wings extended, it is very easy to end up with an unsightly gap at the wing fold joint. You will be very pleased with this decision, as the plane looks great and obviously takes up less space this way.

Looks like you are off to a very good start. Keep it coming ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Starting to come along, Chuck!
    Keep it coming!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Chuck. I have this gem in my stash. I like what you achieved thus far. I am sure your Corsair will look awesome once completed! I will be following your build closely.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Yes Erik, the basic interior color is painted as well as some other components so I can get started. I find it difficult to paint certain areas with the airbrush if things are pre-assembled and the painted. You miss areas and if the interior color is a mix sometimes you do not have any left over paint to do any touch up along the way.

Thanks John, this is the 2nd Tam Corsair, and they are fun to build.

Yes Louis, building the Birdcage Corsair was a joy the first time around, and really appreciate the simple but effective wing fold process that Tamiya supplies in the kit. Very sturdy, don't have to worry about knocking them off as the fit will last for years on the shelf.

As usual and always appreciate the encouragement Spiros.

Morne, it is everything anyone has reported when you build, surprisingly not a lot of parts compared to the Hobby Boss Corsair, and yet get a well detailed result. Excellent, the Lightning is the rave right now after a 1 1/2 being out. The Corsair still rates high in quality and detail.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking back at the previous Tam Corsair Wip, I started with the sub assemblies, outer wing panels, bomb or fuel tank(went with the bomb config.). But this one I will start normally with the cockpit.

The rear bulkhead/seat support brace is removed and the headrest painted brown.

Putting that aside, next the seat has the Eduard's PE belts installed from the zoom set.

Then the seat is attached to the rear bulkhead.

Next to start work on the side console assembly.

The PE enhancements are then attached to the side console.

While the PE sets, I finish up the seatbelts by carefully attaching the lap belts and some detail bits on the shoulder harnesses.

The pump actuator is prepped and then attached to the side of the LH console. The pump will be painted Interior Green.

Then the side console assembly with the rest of the PE bits attached is installed to the rear bulkhead.

Now to move on the instrument panel and foward bulkhead assembly.

The details are removed to accept the PE enhancements.

Next the 2 piece IP is attached followed by the RH front lower panel.

Once the IP process is done, put that aside to set, next is to work on the foot trough.

The PE details are then attached to each end. Then put aside to set.

The control stick is one nice detail piece. The grip is painted gloss black.

Next session will finish up the rest of the cockpit.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That was quite a lot of Progress Chuck @uscusn. I suppose by using white glue for the IP you got some nice "glass" for free.