Friends, it has become clear to me this Mustang is a bit of a mixed bag, at least to me. As I go deeper into the construction of this kit I find myself smile like a crazy man at times yet frown as I see things I didn´t expect from Airfix at this level.
Fast forward to the wing. I glued the wheel well at its intended place in the bottom half. As I let the glue set I got going cutting the upper wing halves of its sprue. It is here I get a feeling of both WTF and WOW at the same time. The details are stunning. Rivets, fasteners, signal lights, all complex lines, curves and fit. Yet, when it comes to how the runners are connected to the actual parts I can´t help but think “what were they thinking”. The runners are quite heavy and connects straight to delicate areas like the leading edge and the connecting edge where aileron and flaps meets the wing. However, it doesnt take more than a bit of careful cutting and sanding to clear this obstacle thanks to Airfix fairly soft plastic. But I can´t help but thinking of how Tamiya would have solved this issue. Maybe there are some casting qualities I don´t get, I might be asking for finesse where non are needed?
After a bit of drying time for the wheel well I dryfitted and glued the left and right hand side wing uppers. Perfect fit all around. I couldn´t help myself but dryffited the whole wing package to the fuselage. I have never built an aircraft model with a better fit between wing and fuselage. NO gap at all! Sorry, no photo of this non-issue.
Upper side of wing with flaps dry fitted…
…and lower side.
I also just had to dry fit the machine gun ports to the leading edge.
Before I glued the wing halves together I made a few swipes with a silver marker on inside of wing. This way I have the reflectors for the coloured signal lights.
After some lows and some huge ups it was now time for some more lifted eye brows. I cut and spent some time tidying the propeller up. Again the sprues connected to the part in a curious way. I am not an engineer so I don´t know the best way of making moulds but I didn´t feel too happy when I realized i had some fiddly sanding to do before clearing up the connecting points to the delicate propeller blades. Also, the tips had some strange and uneven plastic needing some extra sanding.
A bunch of more necessary parts were cleaned up and glued. Rudders, stabilizer, wing tanks, front bit of lower wing in lower centre of photo.
Nose got its inlet and pointy bit onto one sticks the propeller…