The 1/48 Tamiya Mustangs are alive and well

Started by Mark Rezac · 26 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Over a year ago my friend John Ferdico told me that the Airfix and Meng P-51 kits coming to market would make the Tamiya offering obsolete. Looking at my stash I found that I had 8 mustangs in 1/48 scale and 2 in 1/72. They were mostly Tamiya/ICM with a couple Hasegawa in the mix. I decided I would try to prove John wrong while at the same time cleaning out some of my stash. I set out on a one man group build of 10 mustangs.

I pulled out all my resin wheels, engines, cockpit sets and flying surfaces and divided them up between the builds except for the OOB build of a Tuskegee mount. The major errors of the kits were addresses including the main spar, the radiator outlet, front windscreen, step on flaps, etc. Of course brake land fuel lines were added and most wings puttied smooth.

A move to San Diego slowed down the builds but I am now back up and running. Unfortunately I only have iPhone pictures of the progress. Why build one model when you can build ten at 10 times the price? :-).

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That is quite a task Mark. But from what I can see apparently quite achievable. You certainly have broken Louis Gardner's Iron Works on building 3 Hellcats at a time. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 3 months ago:

You’re gonna finish all ten of those before I finish either the Airfix or the Meng! They look fantastic, keep the updates coming.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Now you're talking ! That's the way to build 'em !

I have decided to build more kits in the stash in this manner. It just makes sense and is a lot easier, except for when it comes time to paint them at the end after the build is almost wrapped up... but this only applies when you are painting different paint schemes using different colors... (or if a lot of masking is involved)

I have found that during the preliminary stages of building (when all parts are the same color), it's much faster and easier this way.

The only drawback would be if you make a mistake during construction... Then it's a mistake multiplied by the number of builds you have going on...

Love it... Looking forward to your updates.

• Profile Photo

You are exactly right. Loading up the air brush to paint one interior is a pain in the horses behind so I like to strive for efficiency. I’ve never built 10 of the same airplane at once but I usually have multiple projects going on at the same time. This time once everything is buttoned up I decided to paint the colorful nose and tails BEFORE painting the natural metal finishes. I did this for two reasons, one to avoid paint build up at the masking edge, and two because I didn’t have enough Aclad for all of them!

Here are some additional photos after the Alclad and model master metallizers have been applied:

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great, Mark! This is certainly an ambitious undertaking..

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Don't know how you keep them all sorted, but a phenomenal project! Looking forward to seeing the line-up once they're all done. I think I have 18 Phantoms in my stash, and I've toyed with building 2-4 of them at a time, but don't think I could take on 10!

• Profile Photo

Building 2-4 would probably be my limit too... The most I have had going at once of the same type are the 4 Hasegawa F6F's, and the 4 Tamiya Fw-190's...

Like Greg, I definitely want to see the line up once completed.

Your paintwork looks flawless ... very nice indeed. I'll be looking for more updates for sure ...

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your comments. You are all correct, building 10 models at the same time seems like quite an undertaking but it really isn’t. I keep all the parts in the original kit boxes and whatever I’m working on any particular session goes in to a foam meat tray labeled for each build. When I am painting things like the spinners or the propeller blades I label them with a piece of tape.

If I could do it all over again, the one thing I would change is painting the natural metal 1st. That is how I’ve done things in the past but I decided to try things a little different here for reasons I discussed previously. Also helps with weathering because you can sand the paint down to the natural metal for a nice worn paint effect.

Although I still don’t have a real camera, I took a few better pictures with my iPhone which I will post below. They are all pretty much ready for a gloss coat followed by decaling. It is both my favorite and least favorite part. Favorite because it really makes them all come alive. Least favorite because I am always apt to ruin a decal or three trying to adjust it or burnish it down. Or, worst of all, if the old decals I’ve been saving in my stash crumble in water! Then I am forced to beg for or buy new once as the model is already painted for the desired aircraft. Happy modeling guys. Coments and suggestions are always appreciated. I am still learning and love to try new ways of doing things.

Mark

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Stunning builds all. But for me personally, I have found it easier to paint the natural metal last. Otherwise I always seem to be going back and touching up paint where the tape has left marks on the natural metal finish. This is what led to a major fiasco with my current A-20 build... The tape pulled up the Natural metal finish on the ailerons and it was nothing but downhill from there...

It could be the type of finish I was using to replicate the various shades of aluminum. There are plenty of options and each type of material offers benefits that others don't. We all have our favorites...

Looks like you are really flying on the Mustangs !

Please keep it up and thanks for the updates. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Marc Barris said 6 years, 3 months ago:

This is like a production line during WW2, the thing that gets me is the quality of each aircraft that you are building, detail and paintwork is outstanding. amazing work.

• Profile Photo

Taping over Alclad is very safe especially if there is a primer coat. I have the same issue as you Louis when I try to tape over modelmaster metalizers. They look great but even over primer they stick to tape. To decrease the risk,of that I use Tamiya tape that has already been used on other areas. Yes, that’s right, I reuse my Tamiya tape! Call me cheap, economical, environmentally friendly, whatever you wish :-). When the tape comes off I hold my breath and so far everything has gone well.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 3 months ago:

The Tamiya kit is a fine model. As is the Hasegawa kit. I don't get the passe' attitude about these two kits. Granted the Hasegawa kit has incredibly shallow wheel wells but how often do you stare at the bottom of your builds, you know? Kudos for building these excellent Mustangs, Mark!

• Profile Photo

I agree with you 100% Lee. When I lived in the Sacramento area I was kind of known for building the older kits and trying to improve them. It’s still where I get the most enjoyment in modeling. Don’t get me wrong, I think prepainted photo etch looks great in the office but truly it is just a matter of buying it and gluing it in. I prefer to do a little scratch building. The result is not as perfect but it is very satisfying.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Lee, it's always the "Latest, greatest" with folks. Gotta have the latest one. Then, that falls behind in its turn when the next new one comes out. Henry Adams' "endless steeplechase after nothing." How stashes are built! Ask me how I know...