The dreaded B-29

Started by Kyle Koppos · 19 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 11 months, 1 week ago:

I made the mistake of letting a supervisor I am friends with at work, who happens to be a pilot, decide my next project. Because of his knowledge of aircraft and that i like to build weird stuff, i expected him to come back with something singular and esoteric.

He did not.

Of course he chose the B-29. When i explained to him that is one of, if not the, biggest model in 1/48 plastic, he had the balls to ask me if there was bigger options. I flat out refused R/C and wooden models, so he “settled” on letting me build the old Monogram.

The scoundrel.

So here I am. I already own the big monogram kit, so…. might as well do it.

I spent the first day assembling my “homework” (reference books to read first) and all the aftermarket. From then on i have done basic construction.

I am annoyed that the photos betray how massive this project really is.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I washed the main parts. This took awhile. I went to a local park to sit and work on basic assembly while i wait for aftermarket. It took hours to simply glue all the bombs together and most of the cockpit.

A recurring theme with this build will be “it took a while.”

As i am replacing the cowlings and am not building a Silverplate aircraft, i have amassed a massive spares parts baggie

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 11 months, 1 week ago:

It will be great to see you detailed progression through this build. Great start so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Your supervisor gave you a challenging but wonderful project, Kyle @kopperhed
    Nice start of this big girl, an even more relaxing start in the park, love the idea of doing that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @kopperhed!
    Yes, it is massive, will look awesome tackled by you!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 11 months, 1 week ago:

I built this a year ago and don't recall how many times it almost be came land fill. Looking forward to your progress

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Good beginning Kyle, I have this kit and what keeps from building it is, where in gods name do I display it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 1 week ago:

You really really need to get hold of Terry Dean's weights ([email protected]).

As to where it can be displayed, you can hang it on the wall. Which is what I do with my 1/48 multi-engine builds.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla Ooh, he makes bomb bay doors too. I bought metal landing gear specifically to sneak weight in, these look like something I’d buy, thanks.

• Profile Photo

The 3D printed cowl set i bought was a bust: some of the parts were still liquified and they had horrid texture and gates. I think i will buy the Metallic Details set

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Pity for the cowl set, my friend @kopperhed.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

That doesn't look great, Kyle @kopperhed
    How about contacting the supplier to get a replacement.

• Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 10 months ago:

It is assembled.

That is, all the detail sets, finally. I don’t want to think of that I’ve spent on this. Lots of little pieces.

I’ve decided to replicate Dauntless Dotty, the a/c the Memphis Belle pilot flew on the first B-29 strike against mainland Japan.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 10 months ago:

I got some paint on the interior. I tried Vallejo rattle can paint. It’s really good! I might try it on the whole exterior with the rattle can.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

Indeed a large collection of add-ons,Kyle @kopperhed
    The painted interior does look really good, if you can get the exterior like this it would look perfect.