The Kittyhawk P-39: What have I gotten myself into?!?

Started by John Ferdico · 26 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I’m loving this build john. It’s just the level of insanity that I like. Most people would just spruce up the kit a little bit. You invented a new one :-).

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent John, the level of detail is fantastic. This P-400 should be shown at the Nats.

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Well, here in Kailua Kona on Saturday morning we were reminded that life might be briefer than we think. In those uncertain moments, my only thought was, "Now I'll never finish my P-400."

So right after I put my pants in the washing machine, I got to work on finishing the walls of the engine bay. Much of it will be invisible once the engine is installed, so it is now ready to be ignored until after the main painting stage.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I also added the armor plate and cross brace to the rollover structure. Now I could turn my attention forward. I next installed the lower instrument panel and rudder pedals. These need to be in place in order to start building out the nose

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I also realized I would have to finish the rear of the nose gear bay. This model is getting complicated! All the wiring would be too hard to add once the nose is in place.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This morning I began the nose section, which will be modeled fully open, because I am insane. I decided to scratch build the interior structures, as the P-39D/P-400 differed here from the P-39N/Q, which the Kittyhawk kit represents.

The gear case is full of fishing weights and it is still nowhere near heavy enough to hold this beast on it's nose. Luckily, there's plenty of room in the areas behind the white styrene for additional ballast.

The prop is the Curtiss Electric from the Trumpeter P-40B. And the second spinner is form a spare Special Hobby kit. You can see the difference in the shapes, nd I've yet to decide which is more accurate. Opinions welcome!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Her's a few picture of the nose section taped in place. It's finally starting to look like an Airacobra...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

So John, how years have you had this excessive compulsive condition? Man. I'm really enjoying your progress on this build, the level of detail is outstanding. Keep it up, I'm enjoying the view.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I'm speechless! (That doesn't happen often, I assure you! Just ask anyone who has talked with me!)

Do you have a real P-39/P-400 hangered in your garage? You MUST have to be able to see what wires & such are there so you can reproduce them in this wonderful model! I really look forward to the completion. The bad part: your model makes me want to spit on my own feeble attempts at detailing! LoL!

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

John that is coming along beautifully. I don’t know what you’re using to glue all those pieces together but I hope that it’s not just superglue and that plastic is actually melted to plastic because I would hate to see a bump on the road to the nationals break off the whole nose section! Speaking at nationals, now that your life has been spared, perhaps you could get to work and finish this beauty by August so I can see it. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking killer John!