The rampage continues: Tamiya new 109 G-6

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 67 · 4 years ago · 1/48, 109 G-6, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you Jeff! The build goes well, so new updates in a few days I hope

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Great WiP Pedro -really enjoying the ride..

• Profile Photo

Thank you David, glad you like it 🙂 the fact that you and hopefully others enjoy the casual look out in here is what drives this WIP. Otherwise I would just post the completed model on the Highlights, wich is far less time consuming ahah

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

We are definitely happy you choose to do this WiP! Following along gives me a sense of accomplishment. (Accomplishment meaning; I'm enjoying reading all the details.)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

It is time consuming to post a build in progress. Some spend more time with this than others do.

Yours is a very good one and I appreciate the efforts. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff and for taking the time to reply.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, but if there’s one man here that not only does multiples WIP and gets conversations going, that man is you.
    The fact is I would rather just post occasionally some finished models, but the building blogs in here have been to me a source of inspiration and learning, so I felt I oughta do one as well

• Profile Photo

Getting started with the paint job. Since the engine will be fixed on open I decided that it is better to stop further detailing since the whole engine block will be wrapped in paper and tape to allow a trouble free fuselage painting. So I am fully focused on the paint job. For the first time I decided to try a preshading that goes beyond the panel lines. The black squiggle is my attempt at this technique, which I've seen around with both awesome and awful results, obviously in my perspective. I'm hoping for a moderate uneven blue underside, nothing to harsh.

Another part that has a rather unorthodox construction is the pitot tube. Unlike most 109s out there it comes in a one piece block with a fraction of the wing under surface. I assume it was designed so to prevent misplacings or a less careful cutting from the sprue tree, but to be honest I'd rather have the plain pitot tube all by itself and attach it in the final steps of the build. As you can see it needs some putty to be leveled with the remaking wing surface. 2 hands of Mr Putty 500 and a wipe should do the trick (the photo shows only the first putty application, raw). Also added a rear view photo of the 109 that shows the perfect, no fuss, alignment of the flaps, radiator flaps and ailerons... Tamiya at its finest. More update with the paint progress this weekend. Thanks

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the heads up about the pitot tube and how it gets placed in the wing. I'll keep this in mind when it comes time to build up mine. I also like how you have used tape to keep the putty from getting onto the adjacent panels. This is another good trick. I do something very similar to this when I use filler and don't want it getting everywhere.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting and I'm anxious to see how the paint turns out.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Nice WIP - thanx for sharing Pedro.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you for the feedback Erik. I'll be resuming this build very soon so updates will come around

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

After a complete 9 months after starting this WIP the “baby” is almost ready to be delivered...yep, it is a very long time for anyone to build a Tamiya kit, but that’s me.

Final details are about to be added, things like the remaining of the engine scratch parts, decals & stencils, U/C doors and propeller. Another gloss coat before a more pronounced weathering with oils and powder, exhaust stains and that’s it, a semi Matt coat to finish this beauty. Perhaps next weekend I’ll call it done. Thanks for following this (very) intermittent thread 🙂

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Thanx for the update - really comin' along nicely. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Very impressive, Pedro. The paint job is right on! It looks like you could get some tiny mechanics to take care of the engine and then fly it off the workbench. Very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you for the feedback Erik and George! The best part of this kit is the quality of the engine, wich anyone can superdetail with some ability and stretch sprue. Problem is once you do that you cannot interchange between open and closed engine, wich is also a cool feature of this kit

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Pedro my friend,
    I was just thinking about this build a few days ago...then you posted an update and answered my questions. Your Gustav looks fantastic ! The engine looks as if you could start it up at any moment... I especially like the mottling. It looks spot on too.

What are your overall impressions about this build as far as the fit and ease of assembly ?