The road trip model - Stinson SR-9 Reliant

Started by Jaime Carreon · 13 · 2 years ago · 1/48 scale, AMT, Stinson
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I'm in Florida at the moment, having attended the Top Gun radio control invitational meet last week. Had a blast, and was then able to add a visit to my son while here, which was only supposed to be a few days, but has morphed into three weeks. Since everyone here right now has to work or go to school, I'm the only one who doesn't really have anything to do, which was not something I had anticipated. It's nice to be in that position until you get bored!

Enter good friend Jack Mugan, who I met through iModeler several years ago and happens to live just a few miles from my son. We get together for lunch whenever I'm here, which usually ends up in a visit to his home to talk model airplanes and whatever else comes up. I explained my predicament and he immediately jumped in to help. From out of the depths of his model room came what he called his travel box, a setup he put together to be able to build models at shows or club get togethers. He handed it to me and told me to get to work. In the box were a couple of model kits, an AMT Stinson and an Entex Cessna 150. I'm a s****r for old airplanes and have worked on too many C-150s to find them interesting, so the Stinson it was.

The AMT 1/48 Stinson is a 70's vintage kit and it shows. It has a fairly nice cockpit, none of which will be visible unless you leave the doors open, which is an option. Parts fit is so so, but there aren't a lot of them, which makes it perfect for this project. The goal is to have it finished by the time I head home sometime next week. I decided to leave everything closed up for simplicity, so I painted the inside of the cockpit in a leather color with red seats and a black instrument panel. The doors didn't fit well closed, a little filler took care of that.

Engine was in three pieces and not bad at all. Fuselage went together with a lot of filler, with a few sink marks to take care of. Windows attach from the outside, but the windscreen is pretty flimsy and required a lot of care to install as I know I can't get a replacement if I break it.

The main snag was discovering that the wheel spats were missing from the kit. Since the wheels are sandwiched between the spat halves, then glued to the landing gear struts, there are no axles to attach a wheel to. The kit wheels are awful, which would not have been a problem if they were enclosed. I decided to leave them uncovered. Jack came to my rescue again with a set of P-51 resin wheels from his stash. I made an axle from a straight pin, then modified the end of the strut and drilled a hole in it to take my pin axle. That made my other dilemma easier, as now I can do the model as a working airplane, so I don't have to come up with a fancy paint job. The kit decals depict a white, gold and green scheme, which I wasn't really crazy about. This airplane will be red, not sure about the rest of the markings yet, as I don't have any!

Comments or suggestions are always welcome. Stay tuned and see what happens next!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great! Have fun! I retired last May and have split my time between homes in Alabama and Chicago. I’ve done over half of my construction in Alabama, but the spray booth is in Chicago. It’s been a pleasure to see what I can do with a basic setup at my Alabama place, then paint ‘em in Chicago.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @jetmex!

I have always had a soft spot on some kind ot "modelers travel box", with "essentials" in it!

Love how your Reliant turns out: it's so amazing to bring such classic kits to life. Nice approach on the wheels, too!

Yes, retirement is a "new era" in someone's life, I will soon have to face it as well, but this does not necessarily mean "do nothing". There are a million amazing things to do: even away from home, you figured out a way to model! The Universe contributed to your willingness and here you are!

Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Retirement will definitely change your life, Jaime.
    Seems like you are not getting bored at this moment.
    Although I'm still far away from retirement, there are moments that I would like to have some additional free time.
    Progress on the Reliant looks awesome.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great choice, Jaime (@jetmex). This plane builds into a nice model with some care. I have built it a couple of times, with the last one being a WW2 Civil Air Patrol plane without spats. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

John, my retirement was unexpected and a bit earlier than I had wanted, but it all worked out for the best. And there always seems to be something going on to keep me occupied.

I want to try to get the airplane assembled and ready for paint today. Jack tossed me a rattle can of bright red paint yesterday, so now I have my color. This one may end up going home unmarked until I can rummage through my decal stash and see what I have. No one does aftermarket decals for a Stinson as far as I know. I had contemplated cutting the green border off the gold stripe on the kit decal sheet and using that, but I'd really rather do the trim in black.

As an aside, I went to the local Hobby Lobby store a few days ago to pick a few small things I needed that weren't in the travel box. They were liquidating their stock of Model Master enamels and acrylics for .99 cents a jar, so I scooped some up. There wasn't much left, but I got some colors that I needed to replace what I've used. The nice young lady at the checkout stand gave me an additional discount, so I got 13 bottles of paint for $10! Sometimes the model gods will smile upon you...

• Profile Photo

On the home stretch now. Wings and struts installed, again, fit is not stellar. I have a little cleanup and putty work to do and then she's ready for paint, which I hope to do tomorrow. The last part to be painted was the plastic thing that sort of resembles a propeller, which I may replace if I can find a replacement in my junk box.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Jaime!

• Profile Photo

Looking great Jaime!
    Waiting for your painting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good progress, Jaime.

• Profile Photo

Done!

The road trip model – Stinson SR-9 Reliant, AMT 1/48

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Congratulations, my friend @jetmex!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The red is really striking, Jaime (@jetmex). Great job.