Three P-40s

Started by Michael Turner · 63 · 10 months ago · 1/48, Airfix, Hasegawa, Kittyhawk, P-40B, P-40E, RAAF, Tomahawk
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking great, my friend @michaelt! I agree with our friend @johnb, the blue might tone down after some coating.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year ago:

I discovered an error with the Hasegawa kits when working on the landing gear.

Hasegawa has the inner main gear doors hanging wide open as seen here on the instructions:

But, in the real aircraft the look like this:

Hasegawa engineered slots in the lower wing into which tabs on the inner gear doors fit, but there result in the doors being wide open.

I cut these tabs off so I could mount the doors realistically, but the slot will still be visible.

So, at this late stage, I had to fill the slots with putty and I will have to repaint.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Always great to discover discrepancies and to fix them, my friend @michaelt!
    Perfect!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Quite some mistake by Hasegawa, Michael @michaelt
    Good observation and it will look great once corrected.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Nice catch on the gear doors, Michael (@michaelt). I have never built the Hasegawa P-40, but I have a couple in the stash. Good to know about the issue.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months ago:

While I have been building four more P-40s (https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/four-more-p-40s/) these three have been on hold.

I have almost finished them, having weathered them, added exhaust staining, added 'iron' gun sights and pitot tubes, painted navigation lights and added aerial wires.

But, I haven't painted the canopies yet.

I started masking using Tamiya tape when I remembered that I had seen a tip on this site some time ago and purchased some Polymide Hi-Temp tape from a local electronics store.

So, I decided to give that a go. The great thing is, being transparent, you can easily see where to slice using a new scalpel blade.

The result looks like this.

We shall see how they go after painting...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Very nice paint-work on all three models, Michael (@michaelt). Interesting tape. Someone on iModeler uses something similar. I think it was called Kapton Tape. The real test for the tape is how easily it comes off the canopy when you are done.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months ago:

G'day George (@gblair),
    You are right, and I guess I'm taking a bit of a risk here.
    We will see.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Looking super! Great usage of this kind of tape, my friend @michaelt! Looking forward to the result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

This tape seems very promissing, Michael @michaelt
    Looking forward to the outcome.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

So, this is the result for two of the canopies when using the Polymide Hi-Temp tape to mask them.
    The tape was on them for one week before I painted the first coat and two weeks before I removed it.

The third canopy was masked using the Polymide tape for the front half and Tamiya tape for the back half.
    That was because I had half masked it before I remembered the Polymide tape.
    The result was great for the Polymide tape but with paint lifting when I removed the Tamiya tape.
    I haven't tried to mask a compound curve yet, but I think I'm going to use the Polymide tape from now on.

I decided to remove the radio mast from the Tomahawk and keep the fin to wing-tip aerials.
    Otherwise, the three kits are done.
    I'll take some photos and put them on the headlines soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

The Polyamide tape did the job, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

The tape worked very well, Michael @michaelt
    Very nice result.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

These three look very good, Michael @michaelt. The Polyamide tape looks like it makes a difference in the canopies. I got some of the tape a while ago, but have never tried it.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

G'day George (@gblair),
    I recommend you give it a go.