US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Sorry to hear about the paint peeling George (@gblair). You might try a primer coat before doing the regular paint. I've had good luck with Mr Surfacer 1500 protecting me from paint peeling (most of the time anyway).

Nonetheless, what you have done so far looks great. I too just bought some of those new formulation AK Real Colors, although it may be a while before I actually use them. I was mainly replenishing my US Navy 1950s colors after painting the Fury.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I don't usually use a primer unless I have used different types of materials, like plastic, PE, resin, etc. I suspect the painter's tape was just too strong for the paint. The Tamiya tape didn't pull any of the paint up. I really like the new AK Real Colors. They really seem to spray well, and they have a large range of colors. The new plastic bottles seem smaller than the old glass bottles, but I haven't checked yet. Thanks for stopping in.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

George (@gblair),

Mistakes can be a good thing. If the painters tape lifted some paint, it' s another opportunity.
    I'm sure your Spitfire is a hand me down with a mottled painted surface faded by the elements and touched up with some paint as time allowed by the ground crew. Another shot of paint how ever slight the color will add to that lived in look of a well used aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Hi Stephen (@stephen-w-towle): Great minds think alike. I was just thinking this was an opportunity to scuff up the tail a little. We can see what happens tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yup, such things can happen, my friend @gblair. All good now, your progress is excellent!

• Profile Photo

Hi, Spiros (@fiveten). I will fix the paint problem today. I think the lesson here is not to try and save the expensive Tamiya tape by using painter's tape. Or perhaps the lesson is to take some of the stickiness off the painter's tape before using it. Or perhaps to use a primer. I don't know. Lots of lessons here, I guess.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

I tend to use Tamiya tape for the connection to the model and cheap copy paper to cover the larger areas. It's a bit more clumsy, but it saves tape and is effective. Main thing is to be sure and close any potential entry points for over spray.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

George,
    The photo of Spitfire 4 Q has a kill mark by the entry door. Did this come with aircraft or did a Navy pilot bring down a plane?
    I've been slowly doing my Mustang and sanded off some of the decals over painting the bare spots with Tamiya NATO black. Which I think would be a good match for your black stripes on your build given the weathering.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): I usually use just Tamiya tape for masking, but I used some Gator painting tape for delicate surfaces this time to fill in some of the larger areas. I plan to stick to Tamiya tape from now on.

Hi Stephen (@stephen-w-towle): I think the decals include the kill mark. I thought I had read that VCS-7 had shot down a German plane, but I just did some digging and couldn't find the info. They apparently lost about 8 planes (fuzzy records, some sources say 7). 4 were lost to anti-aircraft fire and 4 were lost to enemy fighters. The squadron lost only one pilot, who was hit by flak. All the rest of the pilots who were shot down survived and were recovered. Apparently one of the squadron planes was forced down in France just within friendly territory, and thus became the first US Navy plane to land in France after the invasion. I was thinking about using rubber black for the stripes, or perhaps even German black/gray. The stripes were recent additions to the planes, so I don't plan much weathering. As usual, all of this will be a game-time decision. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great story and build. I hadn’t heard of this before either. This ranks up there with Doolittle flying a P-38 around the beaches. Following along!

Jim

• Profile Photo

Hi, Jim (@jimh): I read about these spotters in an English magazine and thought it was a really interesting story. I was surprised to find there are a lot of photos of the planes and pilots online. I thought it would be a fun project. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

I repaired the green and the gray on the tail, and then I touched up some areas where the contrasts with the lighter and darker mottling were too much. I plan to get started on the invasion stripes tomorrow. Cheers.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great job, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). Invasion stripes next.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks perfect this way, George @gblair