USN Douglas A-1H Skyraider Tamiya 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 96 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

This a project that I started in mid 2019. A fun kit to build and looking forward to finishing it. Excellent kit in details and ingenuity. Well get into more info as we pop some lids on other projects as well.
    Fly Navy

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Do sign me up for the ride - always liked this plane!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

This should be a fun build. When I started flying for the Air Force in the mid-1970s, the Skyraider was being phased out, but was still being used in Vietnam for special ops and combat rescue. Looking forward to watching this build.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 4 years ago:

Great model. Enjoy the build! Are you using the kit decals?

• Profile Photo

Good morning, Erik with only the very good Monogram kit in 48th scale, and the excellent Hase kit in 72nd scale built so far, I am really looking forward to getting into the Tam kit.
    George, wow, that's cool. Only seen the Skyraider on display at several museums. The one thing that strikes me is how big it is.
    Stellen, no going with AM decals. It will be USN operating in the Vietnam War. Stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Fund facts about the Skyraider from Wikipedia:
    "The piston-engined Skyraider was designed during World War II to meet United States Navy requirements for a carrier-based, single-seat, long-range, high performance dive/torpedo bomber, to follow-on from earlier types such as the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver and Grumman TBF Avenger"

"During the war, U.S. Navy Skyraiders shot down two Vietnam People's Air Force (VPAF) Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 jet fighters: one on 20 June 1965, by Lieutenant Clinton B. Johnson and LTJG Charles W. Hartman III of VA-25;[20] and one on 9 October 1966 by LTJG William T. Patton of VA-176.[12] Using their cannons, this was the first gun kill of the Vietnam War. While on his very first mission, Navy pilot LTJG Dieter Dengler took damage to his A-1H over Vietnam on 1 February 1966, and crash-landed in Laos"

• Profile Photo

Happy Resurrection/Easter Sunday everyone, hope everyone is safe and enjoying this day. Lets' see what is in the box.
    I start with popping the lid and find the standard well laid out Tamiya instruction booklet. Next is the scheme page that Tamiya inserts into each kit.

Next 2 decal sheets for the famous Bumble bee markings of VA-176, VA-25, and VA-52, all USN Lt Gull Grey over Gloss white.

I will not build any of the schemes from the kit, but instead will build another VA-25 scheme from Brengun with the toilet bomb configuration NE572. This will be fun.

Also will use True details resin wheels and Eduards Zoom set.

The Skyraider is molded in Tam's Light grey plastic. The first sprue holds the fuselage halves, dive brake doors, interior components and landing gear bay doors.

The cockpit is simple with typical Tamiya details, which the Eduard's set will enhance. Not much to see once the cockpit is in the fuselage.

Each half has some interior details.

The nice well detailed main gear bay doors and interior side walls are molded into a very solid one piece item. A detail that is not a new concept for Tamiya which they do on many of their kits. Which was really a highlight in the new recent P-38. But an idea they have incorporated in their build process.

Next sprue is the lower wing and flaps.

The lower dive brake well is nicely done. A nice option available if you wish to display the lower dive brake open.

The next sprue has the upper wing halves, main gear struts and center drop tank.

The main landing gear struts look sturdy and should hold this baby when completed for years to come. The beefy tail wheel assy is 2 pieces and looks great on the sprue.

The roof of the landing gear bay is under each of the upper wing halves.

Next sprues contains, the cowling, engine components, cowl flaps and the engine cooling flaps that deploy open or closed with in the cowl. Also the propeller.

The engine face is well detailed, not much if any will show with the engine flaps will be configured closed. Only the engine crank case cover will be able to be seen.

The option to display the engine flaps open or closed.

The prop is very nice and huge.

The engine cowl is 1 piece and accurate. The only gripe on the Monogram kit is the cowl. Though it really is not that much. But for some it can be replaced with an aftermarket corrected cowl now available.

6 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

I have seen a number of these built up. It should be a fun and exciting build. I am amazed at the size of this aircraft. It really is a big boy, especially considering its performance and only being a single engine aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Great start, Chuck! Had built it 10 some years ago. Did the "Bumble Bee" kit version. Loved everything about this kit. Yours, with your superior skills and also the extras will by default turn magnificent. Cannot wait to see it coming together. Can post some pics of mine, if you so wish.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Lovely load of AM products - the "special" bomb simply has to be the color used - nice choice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, the VA-176 Bumble Bee is a well known and often built Skyraider in all 3 scales. (72nd,48th and 32nd). Very striking markings. What I like is to load it up with all kinds of ordy under the wings. And thanks so much for compliments. Your making me blush!
    Thanks Eric, this is a kit though not really needing anything, but I like to enhance the cockpit a bit. The special bomb will be porcelain like the ones we use today.

• Profile Photo

1st thing is to pre paint some of the cockpit and interior pieces before assembly. FS36320 Dk Gull Grey is airbrushed on these parts.

The cockpit tub, seat, instrument pandel, pedals and rear bulkhead.

Then each side of the inner fuselage halves.

The control stick

Nato Black is then airbrushed on the engine cylinders and on the resin wheels. The hubs will be painted Gloss White at a later step in the build.

Next aluminum is airbrushed on the engine as well as the prop hub.

Next time we will start putting things together. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years ago:

Great build and plane. Following with interest, Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Chuck @uscusn, I just picked up this kit and was planning on doing the same exact thing in the future! 🙂 I will be following for sure and taking notes.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Coming along nicely, Chuck. I had an ESCI Skyraider in the stash and decided to build that one next. As you might expect, the difference between the Tamiya version and the ESCI is night and day. Everything is simplified and lacks detail, especially the cockpit. My biggest challenge so far is a large panel on the side of the fuselage. The mold for the fuselage was designed so that you could build several versions by simply including a panel for speed brakes, or a panel that included rear entrance doors, and so on. This panel didn't fit very well and I am currently on my fourth or fifth round of filling and sanding. I also have the Tamiya and Monogram Skyraider in my stash. I wonder every day why I didn't start with one of those. Looking forward to seeing yours built.