USN Douglas A-1H Skyraider Tamiya 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 96 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

After applying the corroguard edges. This session will apply the gloss white under surfaces and the upper flying trailing edge surfaces.

Using Tamiya Gloss White to airbrush the undersurfaces. As well as the cooling flaps in the engine cowling.

Then the trailing edges of the horizontal tail, rudder, and ailerons are painted Gloss White.

Next I decided to get the Quickboost canopy retractor cover. Which looks so much better under the canopy than the kit provided unit uncovered.

Removing the part from the packaging, nice details. Carefully remove the block. And its plug n play.

Now before applying the Gull Grey, I will mask the canopy and windscreen. Using Eduard's masks.

Very easy to use and takes about 30 minutes to mask it all off.

Eduards provide the masks to edge the bubble canopy and leftover strips to cover the center portion of the glass.

Now to mask of the leading edges and the white flying surfaces.

Then I preshade the upper surfaces with Nato Black.

Next session to airbrush Lt Gull Grey. more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That's a fantastic progress, Chuck @uscusn!
    Your painting looks stellar so far!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, will be using Xtracolour Lt Gull Grey enamel. It will go on glossy, thus eliminating the clear coat stage.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 3 years, 9 months ago:

After the gluing bit the painting usually goes quickly on the Skyraider. Take your time to build up some visual interest in the gull grey uppers.

• Profile Photo

Stellen. which on this Skyraider will have some character. I find the US Navy Lt Gull Grey/White (USMC
    too)schemes can be a bit more colorful compared to today's very drab grey schemes currently being used, though each squadron will have a showcase bird, like the CO's with a bit more color.

The top surface color will be USN Lt Gull Grey, 16440, using the still excellent Xtracolor enamel. Very difficult to get in the states. The paint dries glossy, thus eliminating the gloss coat stage. It also takes forever to dry. So after airbrushing it will sit over night to harden.

This paint is a joy to use coming out of my Paasche H airbrush. No clogging especially while freehanding the demarcation line as the Grey meets the white.

The Xtracolour covers in light coats as I prefer. It does cover well and sprays well out of the brush.

After sitting over night, the paint dries quite glossy.

Now it is safe to mask and paint the black Anti Glare panel, using AK surface primer black.

Next the Green Squadron ID color is masked off and painted on the top edge of the rudder.

Next is to go over some of the rough edges, clean them up and prepare the decal stage.

more to follow

• Profile Photo

The Xtracolor seems to have worked wonderfully, Chuck!
    Your Skyraider looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Great progress Chuck. Xtracolor seems to be settling as my preferred paint too. Must stock up before Brexit. . .

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great, Chuck. The Xtracolor paints look great. Finding a reliable source of paint seems to be a continuing problem. I really like using AK Real Colors, but there is no one in my area that carries it, so it comes down to mail order. My daughter lives 90 miles from here, and there is a hobby shop there that carries it, but we don't get up there much with the virus running around. It should be decal time on the Skyraider soon.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 9 months ago:

The shading on the light grey looks excellent Chuck! She's progressing nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, I have used Xtracolour off and on over the years, just hard to get. Love using it despite being enamel. It just lays very well when applying the paint.

George, I have been using a lot of Tamiya, Gunze and Mission Models lately in Acrylics. I do have some AK and Mig as well. And the Vallejo Metallics. I am not one too just stick to one manufacturer. Hobbyshops few and far between. So I get most of my supplies online.

Andrew, thanks Xtracolour sprays well at 50/50. paint/mineral spirits. Only drawback it takes a long time to dry. So paint it and let it sit over night before moving on.

Summer is here so the building progresses but the updates are a bit behind. Just long hot days and a bit of writers block at times. This update will focus on the special bomb and decals.

The toilet mission will have me use the very cool Brengun toilet seat and special designed rack to mount it on the pylon.

The only thing the set does not provide and most images of the Skyraider with this mounted on the RH outer station fails to show the tail unit also part of the weapon.

So the resin seat and tail unit will be installed once that seat is mounted into the rack. Created the tail unit by removing it from an extra bomb.

The seat is not really a white but porcelain. So I used Vallejo Ivory to show a not quite a straight white but more of a porcelain white.

Not much underneath other than the stars and bars under the RH lower wing. Though I did put in the wrong position. It should not be in that far under the pylons.

Next the markings are placed on the top of the wings. Not shown the black anti-skid panels are also applied against the fuselage.

Next working on the LH side of the fuselage working from tail to nose. Starting with the national markings.

I used the Tamiya decals for the side markings. They actually did well on this build.

The basic Gull Grey scheme over white Navy schemes are actually quite fun to do as times will leave some interesting colorful markings used since the mid 50's to the mid 70's. Though this particular scheme is of a line bird, still an interesting bit of an unusual moment during an actual combat mission

with the toilet bomb.

The decals performed without issue on this build. Completing the LH side of the Skyraider, using kit and the Bregun decals.

Using the Micro set system of apply decals. Some Solvaset on stubborn area such as the marking around the tail rudder to snuggle down into the hinge area.

Finally applying the markings along the RH side of the air frame. Again no issues encountered. Not much in stencils on this build so the process took 2 days, as I normally do. Go down one side and then the other side the next.

Next to take a red tip marker and edged the gear doors.

Placing the bombs on a round mount to cover the prepainted yellow nose. I airbrushed Mission Model OD. Looking at the images on that mission, no stripes were on the bombs.

Next up is to dirty this one up a bit. Giving that well used everyday look on the boat in combat.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo

Looks fabulous with the markings in place. Good research on the bomb!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, even without any colorful stripes that some other squadrons were using. Still is a looker with the basics and a bit of color. The whole story on this particular mission is quite interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Chuck, you're right about the gull grey/white, it's a lot like a canvas just waiting for color. Even still, only a little color goes miles on livening it up.. as your latest progress has shown.

I see your note about the Sharpie, and tried it for the first time today on mine. Worked great, thanks!

• Profile Photo

That looks fantastic,Chuck!
    Love the sharpie for the door edges.
    I will try it as well.
    As usual, excellent coverage of your work.

• Profile Photo

I have to say that when I saw the toilet-bomb announced by Hauler, I was very tempted to build one myself. That will be another day as the stash does not hold a Skyraider at present. But as you say, the story is one of those little gems in the history of aviation.

The Sharpie trick sounds very good. I have bought an acrylic marker as opposed to ink, and uses it all the time for those small red and yellow handles in my 109's - for small items like fuses I use a wooden cocktailstick that i hold against the side of the pen-tip, and it sort of works like drybrushing, only a bit more accruate.