USN Douglas A-1H Skyraider Tamiya 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 96 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks awesome, Chuck @uscusn! The toilet bomb is super!
    Regarding the polycap, I had a similar situation many years ago, cannot remember in which kit...
    What I did was to apply a tiny bit of vaseline at the axle tip and it fitted well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

"Bowls away"

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nearing the end of a really nice-looking build, Chuck (@uscusn). The "special" bomb is quite a cool addition that brings to mind an interesting event from Vietnam. I have also used a little Vaseline without problems on polycaps in the past.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, prior to this, never had any issue with the polycaps on either Tamiya and some Hasegawa kits have used polycaps as well. Stuck a tooth pick in maybe to center the cap and then insert. Still very tight. Only thing is somehow maybe some cement may have somehow made contact. Any way it's all good.

Eric, George, the whole story is rather intriguing in actually getting it delivered. Especially as how the Navy is not fond of anything unusual. Especially if your in combat operations in theatre. There instance of photo ops of such adventures, but never actually carrying it out due to the nature of Navy brass. Trust me not just the officers, but grizzly NCO's can put the kabbash as well.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The prop poly cap on my kit is also very tight. Infact, so are the pylons. The prop, mounted, is difficult to spin. Seems to my as if the poly is harder, eg less deformation, though could just be tolerances of the fit. You saved it, regardless. In the home stretch now!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Andrew, I had failed to mention that the polycaps used for the ordnance were ok, I didn;t experience any problems with those pieces as I was removing them and pushing them back in a few times. I wonder if somehow not paying attention may have inserted the wrong poly cap, but then the kit only came with one type, several of them in fact that were used for the tanks and ordy. Hmmm. Anyway as you said it's all good.