Vietnam Super Sabre

Started by Carl Smoot · 19 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is going to be my new long term project that I will work when I feel like doing something different than my other builds. It's the Trumpeter F-100D in 1/32nd scale and my hope is to eventually build this in one of those iconic revetments. But that is a long way off.

First the kit and what I have (so far).

It will have the SEA camouflage. I have decals from CamPro, a camo masking set (which I am not sure I am going to use), cockpit, wheel wells, and burner can from Aires, wheels from AMS Resins, Eduard photoetch for the air brake and buckles (which I may not need). I have the Zacto corrected nose and an AeroBonus ejection seat and pilot coming soon (which I will determine if I want to use later). There's a few other things, but at the moment, I cannot remember what they are (as they are being delivered).

Yes, there's some outlay of funds here. The kit was an XMAS present, but I've bought all the other stuff. I've always liked this aircraft and attempted to build one years ago from the Monogram kit. It was actually coming along quite nicely, but was a victim of my rush away from modeling a decade ago when I decided my new hobby was building my wooden cabin cruiser. That's mostly finished now and I had decided to get back into building models a few years ago. This was one of the earliest kits I got.

There are numerous issues with this kit, but in 1/32nd scale, it's the only game in town. I have a very detail tweak list I got from the Large Scale Planes website which should help with most of the issues.

But the first issue in my mind is the model is festooned with divots representing flush rivets. Trumpeter, why?

I am going to fill these with filler , but some of those divots are in panels and a acceptable representation of screws holding on panels.

So the first order of business (on the fuselage for now) was identifying which divots would remain and which would be filled. This involved identifying all the screwed on access panels (at least as best as I can tell). Using as many photos as I could find, and comparing them to the model, I marked all the access panels. Inside of these panels, I will leave the divots. Everything else will be filled.

After this, I will tackle the wings and other parts. There's much more to do just for this part, but this will be the first phase of that work and I expect it will take a while to complete.

So that's it for the moment. The Constellation is waiting on a clear base to spray over the metallic finish. The Mustang has been partially assembled and is in the seam work stage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

That's a wonderful entry, my friend @clipper! So many extras! I really amazed!
    Great progress already!
    This will be awesome when finished.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great entry, Carl @clipper
    Indeed a lot of extras which will, together with your skills, make this an awesome Super Sabre.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

The should be a beast in 1/32, Carl (@clipper). It looks like you have the full arsenal of goodies to add to the model. Looking forward to the build. There were still a few ANG F-100s around when I joined the Air Force, so this brings back some memories.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Yes, this kit is fairly large, although in real terms, it's only somewhat bigger than my A-20 in 1/48. However, I remember the size of my 1/48 kit from Monogram and this is much much bigger than that.

I've begun the task of filling all the divots. I am using a new to me putty for this. I've heard this sands better and smoother than Tamiya putty so I am giving it a go. It is also much less expensive and comes in a large tube that will last a long time (assuming it doesn't dry out).

THe tail piece was my initial experiment and it looks awful with all the putty on it. But it wet sanded real well and looks much better afterwards. I have had to go back and fill a few divots that didn't quite fill properly, but that will be easy enough. I'll clean out the panel lines once I am done removing the rivets. The remaining panels have too many divets and I will reduce the number of these using the same filling approach.

And as a comparison, here are some photos from my long gone Monogram build. Cockpit was stock. Notice the spacers needed on the interior of the fuselage to get it to line up. Even then , there was a lot of exterior work needed. The fuel tanks were converted to the 375 gallon type. I'll be doing the same thing with the fuel tanks on the Trumpeter kit. Of all the kits I got rid of when I stepped away from modeling (no actually, ran away from), this is one I wish I had completed and kept.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great filling of those rivets, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great work and very nice conversion on the fuel tanks, Carl @clipper
    The interior looks really great.

• Profile Photo

It looks like a real chore to fill all the rivets, Carl (@clipper). Bondo has been around for a while. I remember using it in the 70s, but I stopped using it for a reason I can't remember now. Looks like it worked fine. Did you consider using an acrylic filler that would just wipe off?

• Profile Photo

George, @gblair, I considered the acrylic filler but I've had mixed results with that. The biggest problem is the need to keep going back and filling in divots because the acrylic filler would not stay in when wiping off. Probably still less work than sanding and then having to clean up putty and restore sanded damage. I guess due to shrinkage, using something like Mr Surfacer or Perfect Plastic Putty, I was afraid I would end up with the divots still being visible.

No excuse really. I just bought the Bondo to try out because I had heard good things about it and it was far less expensive per ounce than Tamiya putty. So I tried it out. It does sand real easy which is nice. I am going to prime one of the parts to see how it looks after clean up.

As far as the amount of work, well I go into these long term builds with the notion that it is going to take a long time, and I mix it with shorter builds to keep me from getting burned out. I work on it when I feel like it with no thought of trying to get it done by some arbitrary deadline. Makes for a much more relaxing hobby, at least to me.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Carl (@clipper): I sometimes have trouble getting the acrylic putty to stay where I put it. I have the best results when I put on more putty than I think I need, then let it dry. I then smooth the filler using 70% alcohol on either a paper towel or QTip. If I go slowly, I can usually shape the putty as I go and leave it where I want it. Still working on the technique, but if the putty gods smile on me I end up doing no sanding. This works great for blending a canopy with the fuselage, or filling holes and seams. But a mis-matched joint will still need regular putty to smooth things out.

When I start getting burned out on models, I work on my model train layout for a while. It also works when I am waiting for stuff to dry. Things got relaxing for me when I quit taking models to contests. Now the only person I build for is me.

• Profile Photo

I know what you mean George (@gblair). I never really cared for the competitive nature of contests as there is no real incentive for less experienced modelers to go to compete. And I don't buy into the idea that having others criticize your work can make you a better modeler. What makes a modeler better, is wanting to be a better modeler. I too build for myself and try to get better as I go. But if something, isn't contest perfect, it's not going in the trash bin.

As for wipe off seam filling, I am still trying this out and seeing if I can improve. I was using 91% Alcohol to wipe away Mr Surfacer, but it would only work effectively if the Mr Surfacer was only just dried. If it fully cured, it took much more effort with alcohol and I ended up removing nearly everything including the areas I wanted to fill. I switched over to normal Mr Color Thinner and it is more effective even if I let the putty dry longer. (BTW don't use Rapid Thinner or Lacquer Thinner, these will dissolve the plastic.)

• Profile Photo
    Steve Oakson said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

I remember the Hun in my childhood-of course a slightly older child. The Monogram kit was a great kit for its time. Looking forward to your results on this.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Carl (@clipper): The putties I use are Vallejo Acrylic putty and Perfect Plastic Putty from Deluxe Materials. PPP is much thicker, so I use it to smooth around canopies. Both will come off using alcohol, or even water. If the putty is dry, you can take it off slowly and work to sculpt the putty, or keep it where you want it. For filling rivets, I would use a paper towel damp with alcohol. Remove it little by little and it should work. I hate sanding, so I use the acrylic putty whenever I can. 91% alcohol is much more aggressive than 70%, so I tend to use the weaker stuff. I have never tried Mr Surfacer, so I don't know anything about it. Good luck on the rest of your rivets.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 1 week ago:

The Thud is moving along very slowly. I fully expected this as it is a long term build and I have two other builds getting closer to completion.

I've sanded down the putty on the fuselage parts and added putty to the wings and horizontal stabilizer. These need to be sanded next. Once I've gone over them and fixed any divots I missed, I'll clean out panels lines, and any divots that are supposed to represent screws (that might have been accidentally filled in). Once that's done, I'll smooth sand all the pieces.

Then I can begin working on fitting the resin aftermarket stuff. It's a slow process, so be patient on this one. It will be some time before significant progress is made.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Nice, solid progress, my friend @clipper!