Vintage Revell 1/32 P-40E

Started by Alan Rush · 8 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Alan Rush said 10 years, 5 months ago:

A friend was cleaning out a cupboard and offered me this kit, only with a dozen others, from when we were kids, that he had been moving from house to house and was finally getting rid of them. We were both born in 1964 and this kit was released in 1969, I believe, so the crushed box was showing its age but the model inside was fine. (A little warp to the fuselage pieces, that's all)

The engine pieces and engine mount were cleaned up first, since the cowlings can be removed, so I thought I would let the engine show and leave the cowlings loose. The two engine block pieces are already together in the photo. The quality of molding has certainly changed for the better since 1969.

I added some styrene strips and spare parts to the firewall to dress it up. Mechanically, it is totally inaccurate, but adds something.

I am brush painting and this is the engine mount in green zinc chromate. I also added some styrene rod for wiring and a hose from the cooling tank. After they were painted I added some AK engine grime wash that I bought and this is where they stand now.

I finished the landing gear by adding some styrene rod for a brake line. Painted and washed with black, although I wonder if black is too harsh and should use gray instead(?)

Since I got the model free, I thought I would add some aftermarket pieces to fill in the empty landing gear holes and the less than detailed cockpit. I saw these two CMK kits online and ordered them to try them out. First resin kits I will work with, so see what happens.

That is it so far. I work very slowly and not in a steady timeline at all, so it will be on the table for a while. I plan to purchase decals from a company called CanMilAir for the markings of the plane flown by Ken Boomer, who became the Squadron Leader of RCAF Squadron 111. They were stationed in Alaska for a time with the USAAF and Ken Boomer shot down a Rufe over Kiska Island and is the only Canadian to have a victory while serving in North America during WWII.

Any advice is very welcome and feedback on dealing with an older kit would be helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great so far, can't wait to see it complete.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

That old Revell boxart still ranks among the best on the planet...

Seems like an ambitious take on an old kit. I'm guessing that it has raised rivets... that could actually be an advantage on a Curtiss 🙂

I'd also check the quality of canopy parts given that nice CMK cokcpit.

The assembled engine looks good indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Guillermo Diaz De Leon Calzada said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I built this kit on 1941's movie version circa 1983-1984, and some years ago I got this kit on eBay, I wanted to build it when Hasegawa released this on the same scale. So, I have them in my stash.

As Editor said, I like a lot these kind of boxart and I think a plus is to have the complete model as a collection item.

I hope see it finish soon.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent, simply excellent. The P-40 was one of the better 1/32 kits produced by Revell. Just like any older kit, put a little work in on it, and the result is a gem. Right now I am debating whether to build the 1/32 Pacific Coast Models Hawker Hurricane or build the good 'ol Revell version. Somehow, I feel more excited about the Revell kit. Maybe its a nostalgia thing. Anyway, fine work so far. Keep us posted.

• Profile Photo
    Alan Rush said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I really didn't make a lot of models as a kid, so the Revell kit is kind of recovering a lost part of childhood. Made a few models, but really just starting as an adult. Go with your gut and make the Revell kit for nostalgia's sake.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Alan. Those old kits can be built into some pretty nice models and they sure are fun to work on!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 2 months ago:

This kit (or a reissue of it with the same box art) was the very first model kit my Dad and I built together! (As a six year old, it was totally cool because everything worked on it!) Got it at the EAA Convention in 1981! I did build a second one in the late 80's early 90's and did it as Sue Parish's P-40 from the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. I'd totally take a crack at it again straight from the box just for nostalgia's sake!