WB Laird Super Solution

Started by Jim Harley · 29 · 5 years ago · Air Racing, Laird, Super Solution, Williams Brothers
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Welcome James - this is looking good!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Just a quick ‘heads up’, James. When you want to cite someone on a post you need to reference their whole user name; for instance, yours is @jimh mine is @dirtylittlefokker and Louis is @lgardner

Great to have you on board here!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David, I'm sure you can relate. Our eyes get bigger than our stomachs, or in this case, our brains.

@dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo

Oh yeah, Gary, I can relate.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker thanks! I edited that post so there is no confusion 🙂 More work to be done this evening! this is great motivation.

Jim

• Profile Photo

Bring it on James, love this build. Beautiful colours.

• Profile Photo

Here is the P-51...it is a bit farther along now but this was after the 3rd repaint.

I won't start another thread but I'll post photos here when it is done. Definitely a learning curve build...there will be another 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some more progress on the Laird. In hindsight I should have fit the "I" struts to the upper and lower wings before painting. I made the assumption they would just fit. Well, they don't so I'm trying to get them to fit without damaging the paint. I sanded them to match the airfoil as best as I could. There is still a small gap but not as bad as it was. The alignment pins were not even close so I shaved those off in the process of fitting them to the airfoil. My fault, but at least I know what to expect from the next Laird.

Jim

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Real work keeps getting in the way, but I made some progress over the weekend. I started the rigging process and ended up using .010 wire. Williams Brothers molded the recesses for the wires in to the wing and fuselage which makes it hard to use stretched sprue. The wire is stiff and easy to work in to the molded wire exits. I also added some white pastel to the exhaust trail to simulate the lead residue. This one is about done, just have to flat spot the tires, finish the tail rigging and mount the canopy. I'll give the exhaust trail a final shot of flat clear and call this one done.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

It definitely looks the part !

Well done ... If you don't mind, please post up a few more photos after it's done. There's just something special about all planes from this era... Your Air Race P-51 looks good too.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Here it is...and thanks Louis! Depending on what book you read Matty Laird and his crew in Chicago built this airplane in 45 days. That's pretty incredible by any standard. It was test flown by Matty and handed over to Jimmy Doolittle for the Bendix cross country race. Doolittle and 8 others launched from Burbank airport on September 4th and landed in Cleveland long before any of the competition. The weather around Cleveland was less than ideal, descending through rain he didn't waste any time in topping off and heading to Newark to set the transcontinental speed record, shaving off over an hour of the previous record held by Frank Hawks. That same day he flew back to Cleveland so the Laird team could prep her for the Thompson Race. Yellow trim was added to the wheel pants, but using the bigger engine didn't work out so Doolittle raced with the Bendix engine. A burnt cylinder and control issues forced him out but he still gave the Gee Bee Z a run for its money. I modeled her as she would have arrived in Cleveland from Burbank. It probably isn't grimy enough but I didn't want to over do it. I really enjoyed this kit and I will build the Thompson version some time down the road.

I was waiting for good sunlight to take photos...I'll shoot some more if the sun ever comes back out here in Ohio 🙂

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Jim @jimh, First off, this looks spectacular. Well done and welcome to the group. Don't know how I missed the first post, so I'm catching up. I too have just returned to the world of scale modelling. With regards to Vallejo paints. I use the Vallejo Model Air paints straight out of the bottle with a Badger Xtreme Patriot 105 and have not had any issues. It has a 0.3 needle and I have a Patriot 150 (Medium) for larger jobs and spraying primers. I run at 15 to 19 PSI and have no problems with Model Air. I will use Vallejo Model Paints as well but thin those accordingly. I prefer Acrylics, to me they are just easier to clean up the equipment and provide very satisfying results.

Again, welcome to the group.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Hey James, thanks! fun to be back in the sewing circle 🙂 I am giving acrylics another go, your advice parallels a lot of tutorials I've watched. Viewing a couple youtube channels like 'scale-a-ton', and 'plasmo' has given me a new hope. After I finish up the Gee Bee Z and the Mantz Mustang I'm going to do an Me 109...that'll be the test for the acrylics.

JIm

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

The pictures that you posted look fantastic. The racer turned out great. Maybe it's me, but I prefer to use old school enamel paints. I had a problem before with acrylic paint lifting after I masked something off. It very well could have been something I did incorrectly but every since that happened, I have been a little gun shy when using them.

I do use them on occasion however. I just try not to use masking tape when I'm using acrylics.

Building up a 109 huh ?

Sounds like a great idea ...

I'll be looking forward to seeing it. One can never have too many 109's.