Webmaster can play, too! – Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E

Started by Editor · 51 · 10 years ago · 1/48, Bf 109, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 6 months ago:

After a long hiatus (being preoccupied with worldly things like raising kids and developing iModeler), I'm glad to report back at the modeling table. And enjoying every minute of it πŸ˜€

The choice of kit for this warm-up excercise is the eternal Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E-3. I have also decided to add the Aires cockpit set and aftermarket decals.

Construction starts with the cockpit!

I chose to paint the stock instrument panel rather than replacing it with a PE one. This is supposed to be a nice, easy build...

The Aires cockpit set features nice detail and is pretty much drop-fit. All you need to do is sanding down the existing sidewall detail.

Fitting nicely...

I developed a habit of leaving off the pilot's seat for installation only after the entire model has been assembled and painted. This allows me to move on to general assembly a bit faster and avoid getting stuck with the cockpit for too long.

Ready to glue the fuselage halves

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Good to see you back at the building table Martin! You haven't entirely lost your skills either I see... πŸ™‚ !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent comeback and a good choice in the form of a true classic - both the original and the kit.
    The IP looks spectacular!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Martin, looking forward to seeing the finished model, you've made a great start, be careful not to hide all that lovely detail!

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Martin, Great choice for the "back in the saddle again" project. Haven't lost your touch! What markings are going on this Emil?

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Yeah buddy, kids and other obligations have a way of sucking up the free time one would normally spend modeling. Glad to see you have found a little "Me" time for yourself. Enjoy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all. One good thing about modelling a Bf 109E is that you can always go with a paint scheme you haven't tried before - there is such a variety. I'm thinking about going with an early un-mottled scheme. Kagero book on JG26 features this a/c on the cover and the included decal sheet. Apparently flown by Oblt. Fritz Losigkeit, commander of 2./JG26 during the French campaign. I like the bold red markings and that little eclectic pennant on the antenna mast.

• Profile Photo

Feel like I'm doing good progress. If this could ever end looking as good as Roger Fabrocini's fabulous 1/72 Airfix Emil, I'd be more than happy...

The kit's main components go together like a dream, with no filler required whatsoever. The only exception to the rule was the rear wing-to-fuselage joint which required only a quick fix with Mr Surfacer. Nevertheless, I messed up a bit in the starboard wing joint, but the excess of glue was allowed to dry and sanded down to a good effect.

I could not resist a few easy improvements. Opening up the upper gun slots and thinning down the rear edge of the cowling for that "loose fit" add a bit of realism.

Another easy improvement was dropping down the elevators. This was done by means of undercutting the lower and upper elevator joints and then gently bending the elevators. The elevators were then affixed in new position by running Tamiya extra thin glue into the squeezed lower joint.

Ready for the paint shop & calling off for tonight

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent progress, dropping the elevators really does a lot to the overall appearance.
    Looking forward to see some paint on! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Happy to comply...:) Yesterday I have primed the model. Actually this is the first time I have been using Tamiya spray primer. Covers well, dries quickly, smells terribly - clearly not recommended for use when modeling at the family kitchen table...

..and here are the elevators, assembled and under the coat of paint.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 6 months ago:

That's an impressive pace! Well done Martin!

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work there Martin, it`s nice to get some QMT ( Quality Me Time ) and get on with things.
    All work and no play makes for a poor show.
    Looking forward to seeing the completed build posted.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Firstly, excellent choice in Bf-109E kits. I find the Tamiya far superior to the old Hasegawa and the new Eduard 109E. I especially like how you manipulated the control surfaces as it gives your build quite a bit of character. Glad to see that Aires is now producing cockpits that fit without having to sand the fuselage walls paper thin. Keep on keeping on, Martin.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Change of markings!

Every time I plan on building something nice & easy, AMS kicks in in the form of research that just grows and grows. In this case, it was triggered by discovering that some sources quote my previous choice of Oblt Losigkeit's machine as Bf 109E-1, while my model is obviously an E-3. And while there are books that list is as an E-3, this is just not enough for me. After additional research, I decided to opt for another JG26 machine, that of Stab-II.JG26, Hptm. Herwig Knuppel, Spanish War veteran and Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 26.

Hauptmann KnΓΌppel was killed in combat with a Hurricane near Lille on 19 May 1940.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 5 months ago:

To be fair, the profile of red 16 shows it with small-calibre wing guns so it is drawn like an E-1 for sure! I would say that your second-best choice is equally as good looking!

Regards

Magnus