Welcome to Mystical Experiences (1/48 Fonderie Miniature Vautour IIB, Armée de l'Air )

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 47 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Fonderie-Miniature, Vautour
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Hi everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I decided to give this beast a go. You can see the progress so far here:

Welcome to Mystical Experiences (Workbench build progress of 1/48 Fonderie Miniature Vautour IIB)
    Here is the situation today: the bird is puttied and sanded. Not an easy job, but done. Next the wing tanks will enter the fonderie miniature endless circle: sand-putty-san d-putty-sand... Hope you like it so far.! Happy modeling

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years ago:

FM kits are certainly not for the faint at heart, I know, I’m one of them 🙂 excellent start and great title for your WIP also Spiros! Looking forward to see how this goes

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 4 years ago:

I'd say you were beating it. Keep filing...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Yep Spiros @fiveten - I like it so far, and shall be tuned in. Thank you for taking the time to post this interesting object.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

There are some serious tools visible in your photo. When you build models that require this amount of work they become a quest to try and finish them. Can't wait to see this one finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Thanks @holzhamer, @billkoppos, @airbum,@gblair for your support! I'll keep filing for you!

I' m going to beat the Kraken!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Now that the Adlolfine is finished, it's about time to deal with this beauty.

The external tanks were painted with the leftover silver paint from my "Korean" hellenic C-47.
    More to follow!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hopefully the guard is not related to the Kraken? Great to see progress on this build again - keep pushin' my friend!

• Profile Photo

I have to say that my beloved Kafetoula is aesthetically related to the Kraken somehow...
    She is amazing!
    I think the Vautour deserves a good bringing on! I hope ti will have it.
    Thanks for watching, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing the Vautour done, Spiros (@fiveten). I don't think I have ever seen it built as a kit. Sometimes the kits that put up the biggest fight yield the biggest rewards. Your C-47 looks great, too. What kind of paint did you use? If I ever put anything outside to dry here in Texas, it would be full of dust and bugs by the time it was done.

• Profile Photo

The Vautour is such a beauty in its own particular looks, George @gblair. Saw one kind of restored outside SNECMA facilities, while I was for a mission in France back in 2002; I was astonished! Didn't know its existence until then. The Armee del'Aire representatives were more than happy to satisfy my newborn particular curiocity. I was hooked! Then I found out that Fonderie Miniature made a multimedia quarterscale Vautour. In Elvis's words, "couldn't help falling in love"! With the Vautour and with the Fonderie Miniature kits. How more bizarre could it get? (lol).

Thanks for liking my C-47 progress too. The paint is Humbrol 11 enamel. Dry to the touch quite quickly, takes about a day to cure sufficiently for further handling.

• Profile Photo

Some small progress:

Prepared the resin goodies to be fitted in the bomber's office:

The resins have to be fitted according to these instructions...

A mystical experience indeed

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Good luck, Spiros (@fiveten). It looks like you need an advanced engineering degree to read the instructions. Better you than me. I am more of the "Glue Part A to Part B" kind of guy. I'll be interested to see the paint scheme you choose.

• Profile Photo

I will do an Armee de l'Air plane, s/n 639, as per the boxart:

Those birds were painted "aluminum" paint allover with zinc chromate spine. Here is an actual pic of s/n 640, carrying the same scheme:

My initial thought was to do the beautiful four colour Israeli bird, but I lacked some decals.

I think the French scheme is extremely cool too.

I was lucky enough to come across a series of walk around pics in arcmodeler.com site of a completed same scheme French restoration project. It looked meticulously researched and restored, the pics published providing EXTREMELY HELPFULanswers. Isn't life beautiful?

Thanks for watching, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That bombardier pit is going to be a party (Sorry could not help it).

Great to see some progress here - and even though the colors looks simple the plane itself is such a complicated looking piece of machinery that it will be very interesting and busy looking in all silver anyway! Good call I think.