Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Those instruments are above the best I've seen, my friend @airbum!
    Looking forward to see this office completed!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Louis @lgardner and Pedro @holzhamer, regarding those pedals it ended up with the Eduard ones being used with no further modifications. The rudder will be neutral, and so there will more or less only be the lower parts of the pedals visible anyway.

Greg @gkittinger, another 1/48 tutorial coming up in a minute.

John @johnb and Spiros @fiveten, I did paint the edges of the panel later, but boy, that is a real nice one - there are details so small that they are only vivible to a magnifying glass! (at least for me). My girlfriend noticed that she was able to tell wht the individual instruments are (She is a fully trained commercial pilot, so she should know)

• Profile Photo

Wings!

With the fuselage assembled it is time to add wings

For an Eduard 109 it is impossible to glue the lower wing in place first, so I dryfitted this one to check.

That is all very well. The reason for fitting the lower wing first is to be able to adjust the upper panels so that the root will fit without filler. This is done by adjusting the outer edges, but it actually seemed like the AMG kit fits like a glove!

When trimming the upper panel, there is an attachment that is within the curved area, and that needs some sort of round sander.

On the leading edges there are some tabs that should not be mistaken for attachment points that needs sanding. They are for the slats if you want them open.

To glue the skin in place you need to add glue BEHIND the edge, as it fits on top of the lower skin.

And with all taped up just a single peg is needed to hold everything until the glue is cured

next up some thoughts on where to set the ailerons, elevators and stuff. Comments are most welcome, and appreciated

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@airbum - Erik, good progress there! Good to know that the kit has no major fitting issue. I do like the breakdown of the parts, conventional but wise when it comes to following the real plane seams.

Yahu IPs are very good indeed. I have a whole bunch of them but only used one so far.

I have ordered that new “wonder” stuff brand Quinta Studios to try on a 109 F sometime later. Am curious to see if they equal or surpass Yahu IP finness or not

• Profile Photo

Pedro @holzhamer, indeed the Quinta items are looking very nice (in pictures - I also have to get some). One issue could be price; Hannants now has the Quinta panel at £9.99, whereas the Yahu is £3.19. The Quinta ones are of course with fuse-panels and a lot of other nice items, such as belts, whereas Yahu is only the panel. I shall be looking forward to see your build should you chose to share it on iModeler.

Regarding the AMG kit, I have to say that even though the fit is very nice, one think I really do not like is the wingroots - the Modelsvit offering is just a lot better there. AMG is fully mendable though, just needs a bit of filler and scribing to get the wingboltcover right - but that should be relatively easy stuff.

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum indeed Quinta stuff is a bit expensive but it does come with extra parts to complete the cockpit besides the IP. However I have serious doubts if their IP is better than those from Yahu.
    On another note, I’m keeping an eye on Wingsy upcoming new Emil in 1/48. The CAD looks promising, let’s see how it looks in the plastic.

• Profile Photo

Pedro @holzhamer - just had a look at the Wingsy site - looks promising as you say.

• Profile Photo

More holes

with the details flooding in on this one, I think I have to make some more holes

The nose has some nice renderings of the air-inlets to cool the Jumo, but they are flat. I started with a drill, then downsized to another. . .

And took some joyful time with a sharp scalpel to fully open them up.

With the drill out, I then moved on to the exhausts.

• and while I’m on a roll (somebody stop me please), I am thinking that I must open the spinner too

Will this never end? Stay tuned – and do leave a comment about my sanity or something else if you feel like it

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That is a lot of drilling, Erik. @airbum
    But the results are outstanding.
    If you just compare those two noses, WOW, what an improvement.

• Profile Photo

Those are the kind of details that help bring the model from a toyish look into a more “authentic” image, and help a lot!

• Profile Photo

Yep, I agree with our friends above, my friend @airbum! Opening those holes makes the model even more appealing.
    As for the moving surfaces, ailerons neutral, elevators "down".

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This work is a definite improvement over how the kit normally looks. I recently picked up two of the Modelsvit Bf-109's. One is a C version and the other is a Dora. I am following your build very close, as I plan to do the same thing with my builds, but I don't have a Yahu IP yet. They do indeed look very good. The Quinta parts look to be a very good option too. They are like a 3D decal and offer a lot for the cost.

I would follow Spiros' advice, and keep the ailerons centered, drop the elevators, (and possibly the radiator flaps) and maybe kick the rudder of to one side just a little off center to give it a more dynamic pose.

Currently I am building a Revell of Germany Bucker Bu-131D kit in 1/32 scale... I am anxious to get the Luftwaffe group build going, but I will wait a while for the other groups to run their course. Here's how the Bucker looks at the moment.

Now I am waiting on the paint scheme to be picked out. These planes are so cool !

Thanks for posting the updates. Your 109 is definitely taking shape. All of the little things you are doing will make it look even better.

• Profile Photo

Nice Bucker, Louis @lgardner!
    The cockpit inner walls look very realistic!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This is coming along nicely! Love your attention to detail, and of course, the fact that you're building up my "reference library!"

• Profile Photo

Thank you for all the nice comments and all my friends.

John @johnb, it is indeed an improvement, and not all that difficult to make.

Pedro @holzhamer, just a tiny bit closer to authentic

Spiros @fiveten, I have by now settled on how to place the ailerons, rudders and elevator, and have placed the controls accordingly – more later.

Louis @lgardner, you will not be disappointed by the Modelsvit kits (OK, I haven’t assembled one yet, but the level of attention in their sprues speaks volumes) Your 131 looks great by the way – looking forward to seeing it finished.

Greg @gkittinger, small steps, but steps nonetheless. Glad to be able to help building a “reference library”

• and a very small update will arrive in a minute.