Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I really like the 109's because they were of such a clever design: One single bulkhead to carry engine, landing gear and the aft fuselage. Absolute marvel of engineering, revolutionary design copied by others many times later. My license plate even ends with 109 😀 Such a freak I am! @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very cool, thanks for sharing (see, I don't just like Japanese planes!)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Appreciate the comments Gentlemen!

John @johnb, fingers crossed it will!

Louis @lgardner, indeed it is a sure sign of progress

Spiros @fiveten, the wait for more PE is over in a minute

Michel @michel-verschuere not only clever, but simple to make too. I want to change my license plate 😀

Woody @wkubacki, most welcome – japan also had a few 109’s as you may know 🙂

• Profile Photo

PE and moving bits

The PE part for the front added as are the moving parts

And the tailfeathers too. The leading edges are cast all the way, minimizing the need to fill and sand.

One small error in the instructions is the struts for the tailplanes – they should be opposite – number 7 should be 8 and 8 should be 7. It is however relatively clear when you try to glue them.

With the PE on the nose it looks rather detailed – and as the spinner on these early machines were of smaller diameter the details will be partly visible.

The idea behind the spinner being a bit smaller is the problems with cooling the engine on these Doras.

What comes next? – stay tuned to find out!

• Profile Photo

Dryfitting the prop

I added a few more resin and PE this afternoon

And that is what it is – just a few pictures of the dryfit of the spinner to illustrate the cooling holes in the nose of the cowl

I do think it is not all that bad.

Only issue now is that my airbrushes are acting up, and I have ordered some new o-rings and other seals for the H&S as the time for paint is approaching rather fast

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

It is absolutely not bad at all, it looks fantastic, Erik @airbum
    First time that I see those details on a Dora.
    While following your threads about 109's, I do learn a lot about them.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Sinply amazing, my friend @airbum!
    Tons of details!

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friends. And the most amazing is that so far no AM products has been used. Just what is in the box and some thinning and cutting and drilling. Oh yes, and a few small pieces of Evergreen - and a lot of LqS. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Screening

The glass went partially on today

Having finished the innards, it became time to add some glass. One last look at the IP

Great stuff – from Yahoo, and the first use of AM parts in this one! (and my first use – but not the last – of Yahoo panels)

Now, the limited run nature of this kit keeps popping up.

The screens and hood are nowhere near to fitting in the space available.

Filing and sanding has become the norm on this build, so more of that stuff took place

And it fits. One thing that is great though is the fact that there are no “plate” or hole in the aft hood, and as these often were used without radios installed it makes it look just right.

I forgot to take a proper picture of the “missing” plate, so check in and see if it becomes obvious later on

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great correction, Erik.
    Always a pity to see those IP disappear at the end, good you took a picture of it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I agree with our friend @johnb, my friend @airbum!
    All corective actions seem to converge towards a great result.
    Love the instrument panel, too!

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents

@JohnB, I usually leave the hood open to let people see the insides. This one has a minimum of frames, and there are glass right up to the IP, so if I opt for a closed hood, I think a lot will be visible anyway.

@fiveten, thanks - the Yahoo IP is a real winner IMHO.

I think masks , then some RLM02 for the inside of the frames, and then it will be the paintshop - no wait, perhaps some white and then masked marks as opposed to decals. . . decisions decisions

• Profile Photo

On a roll?

Well - not really. Things at the bench has slowed down as springtime intervened

Having spent days in the garden, at least there are a pair of wheels being prepped.

The originals are not that great, and the reboxed versions do have resin replacements. I have sourced some Eduard plastic wheels from the spares boxes, and sanded them down a bit. The outside hubs look a lot better, but I will have to check if they are realistic to the version.

I have ordered some resin replacements, just in case – and as I have a few of these kits standing by, no harm is done if the plastic ones will suffice

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The plastic ones look very sufficient, my friend @airbum.
    I have to confess, though, that in cases like the 109, resin wheels usually add that extra look.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@johnb, @lgardner, @fiveten, @j-healy, @michel-verschuere, @wkubacki, @holzhamer and @gkittinger, Is it really 4 months since I ladt made any progress on this one? Oh, well, life is what happens, and sometimes you just have to lean back and enjoy the ride – right?

Primed!

Yesterday I shook the Tamiya White Primer can

• and after a quick once-over with alcohol it got a round of primer

Nice white canvas to paint on!

Remember the drillings that took place earlier - you may want to go back and check the holes on this one being made (mid of page 2)!

One nice thing is the resin oilcooler and photoetched hinges – looks nice I think

next up hopefully some paint – but where does the time fly?