WIP End Of 2017 after Return To Modeling

Started by Carl Smoot · 17 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Welcome back to the hobby ! Like these guys said, looks like you still have the touch.

I'll be watching for future updates, especially on the Gladiator.

I have the Lifelike Fury, Gladiator and Flycatcher, and another Lindberg Gladiator. I've been thinking about building a few kits for the 100 Year Anniversary of the RAF Group Build that will be starting soon, and these will all be great subjects.

Welcome back.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I had forgotten to update this group post so I thought I should do that. Since last year, I made fairly significant progress on the two Gladiator kits, getting them to the painting stage and starting to paint. I used the black basing technique again and got the first camo color down. Then used blue tack to delineate the camouflage and applied the other color (a blue shade). This is where I ran into problems. Before applying the second color, I had touched up the black base from over spray from the first color (a grey shade). This was done after applying the blue tack. After applying the blue, I peeled away the blue tack and noticed that I had a fuzzy black outline around every color! Aaargh!

Well this deflated me quite a bit as I didn't want to strip the two planes and touching up the colors is going to be a chore as well. So they've been on the shelf of doom since about March.

The Spitfire and F-80 are both being chalked up to as learning experiences and trying to learn techniques (or relearn them). Because of my boat building project, I've only recently returned to the model bench starting on a new project which finally got my mojo going.

This is the P-38 project which I've started a separate thread for. So for now, the Gladiator kits will remain boxed away, perhaps to be returned to at some future point when they rekindle my interest. If I can perfect my fine airbrushing skills, it will be easier to fix up the camouflage on those two birds.