World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good .Phun with Phantoms!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Can't wait to see them painted! nice progress here indeed. Thank you for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Sorry it's been so long - things got congested in the paint shop - had two Phantoms and an Hs 129 to paint. Got the 2-Ocean Blue scheme on the EJ Kai, and have started on the set of dry transfer stencils I bought. I'm probably 6+ hours into it, and all I've gotten done so far are the few waterslide decals (the meatballs, intake and tailhook warnings, fuse stripes and a couple of other red-stripe markings), and about 2/3's of the underside fuselage!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Below is a pic of the set of stencils. The top half are the "stencils" and the bottom half are the "panel numbers." The stencils have transfer numbers that correspond to the instruction sheet, but the panel numbers - I supposed because the number itself is in the decal - don't have number call-outs. The only way I can find them is to use my cell phone zoomed in tight, and then looking under my lighted magnifier! Man, are my eyes tired after an hour or two at a stretch!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

To give you an idea of the amount of stencils, here is the 2-sided instruction sheet. The panel numbers are all listed on one side of the sheet, and the stencils on the other side. Thus I have to keep looking back and forth between the two sides to make sure I follow a sequence that doesn't get me into trouble. The first 3 pics are the stencils, and the last 4 are the panel numbers

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Holy eye strain, Batman! Does half panel 111 on the outer upper wing?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I just got a strange feeling of having to think more than twice before considering a 1/72 jet. . . WOW!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Now THAT'S some stencilling, Greg! Had to do the same job at my 1/32 F-4E...was nerve testing...
    ...1/72? You are the man!
    I love this ocean scheme.

• Profile Photo

Another 3 hours last night just to finish the underside of the fuselage - now to do the underside of the wings - then it's topside and pylons! I also have to clear coat again over the waterslide decals that are on it, so I can try to lay down some of the stencils that extend over them. I've learned (the hard way) that a) the dry transfers don't stick very well to the non-coated decals, and b) the waterslides will pull up from the attempt!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

3 hours with those small stencils? I dare say. Keep up the steam - it will look awesome @gkittinger!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Well - after a 3-day weekend, and somewhere north of 50 hours, I've completed the stenciling and decaling of the Kai! Man this has been a slow train to get a model finished... On to weathering and finishing up the ordnance so I can pop this Phantom on a stand, and start painting the Kurnass.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 10 months ago:

By the way - before you mention it - yes, I broke off the nose and tail probes while stenciling. They'll be added back in due time!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Well done Greg !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nicely coming along, Greg!
    It has been a while now that I became a pragmatist: I know my models' attached little thingies will never make it to the end, so I proudly break them upon opening the kit boxes...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That is some serious stencilling. Looks a million @gkittinger!