Z-M 1/32 Ho229 WIP

Started by George Johnson · 23 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Started working on the airframe. Turns out to be quite a complex-looking assembly process. The Z-M instructions are excellent and you can't go wrong if you follow them. I scraped all the mold seams off and sanded things lightly so that the tubular frame would look more realistic. There is a lot going on in this model and you can follow the build a little more closely on my blog- georgesmodels.com

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This is an amazing build, with incredible details !

• Profile Photo

Here are the main ribs after I removed the masking film.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The ribs have been attached to the frame, and some initial light weathering has been applied to match the engines (which are being test-fitted). This kit is as good if not better than the AMK MiG-31. It cab be challenging at times, but the highly detailed instructions walk you through the process really well.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Engines are installed and the frame is sealed up. I added some wiring as well.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Stunning so far!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Greg. It's a really amazing kit. The level of detail boggles the mind.

• Profile Photo

A little more work on the 1/32 Zoukei-Mura Ho-229. I added the cockpit framing and connected the wring from the distribution box at the back of the frame. I also managed to get some work done on the very cool landing gear assemblies. You can see the step-by-step construction process at http://www.georgesmodels.com

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Those Z-M kits are great! I've done a few myself, but mine don't compare with THIS beauty!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Craig. It's been a fun build and not my last Z-M kit that's for sure.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years ago:

My 1/32 Z-M Ho 229. I attached the landing gear last night. Still a couple of little bits and pieces to install, but nothing major. The HGW cloth seatbelts are the only aftermarket items I've used. I started on the starboard gas tanks and wing section last night as well and I'll post pics of that soon. You can see more at http://www.georgesmodels.com

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

My goodness this is some exemplary work ! I can't believe the detail work on this one. It's almost as if you have somehow managed to go back in time AND shrink a Horten down to a 1/32 scale. Stunning...

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. This really is a great model. Even with all the detail, it builds pretty quickly. Painting it has been the most fun. I've started on the wings. The tanks are all cleaned up and the wing framework is ready for paint. I going to do a natural wood finish. that will match the tones on the "fuselage". The tanks had big gaps along the bottom so I filled them with cyano, sanded them and added the erased straps.

• Profile Photo

The 1/32 Zoukei-Mura wing WIP. I'm leaving this one open to show the detail inside. The outside portion of the wing will be clad in Uschi van der Rosten plywood decals. I used a variety of painting/weathering techniques to achieve the effects you see here. You can see more of this build at http://www.georgesmodels.com

• Profile Photo

I'm paneling the wing with Uschi van der Rosten plywood decals. I have to say that they are pretty amazing. More tomorrow.