Z-M 1/32 Ho229 WIP

Started by George Johnson · 23 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

This is gorgeous, George! I don't believe I've ever seen this level of detail in a plastic kit before. It's pretty incredible.

Well done so far, Gorgeous George! (Sorry ... I couldn't resist!) LoL!

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years ago:

Thanks, Jeff. I'm definitely going to build more Z-M kits. They are just amazing and everything else pales in comparison. They're actually easy to build, the instructions are fantastic, and the level of precision and detail is without a doubt the best I've seen. They're rather expensive, but worth the extra cost.

• Profile Photo

The wing is almost done. I finished adding the decals late last night and sprayed the surface with a matte lacquer varnish. The wing framing has not yet been attached to the skin. I screwed up the paint on the main rib and had to strip it clean.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Working on the port wing of the 1//32 Ho 229. Only painting the areas that will actually show (luckily not a whole helluva lot).

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

I realize that the scale IS 1/32nd, but the detailing is exquisite. I don't do that scale but I'll have to look into Z-M.

• Profile Photo

Jeff- They make a 1/48 version, too that has as much detail.

• Profile Photo

I put the wings on the Ho 229 to see how everything fits. It's a plastic Rolex! The port wing will be painted and treated with Uschi van der Rosten's great plywood decals. I'm going to weather the frame just a little more. There are a few areas that I touched up that need to be treated. Still lots to go, but I'm finished for the evening. Shouldn't have had that beer at dinner.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I'm finishing off the top of the right wing and the top of the "fuselage"of the 1/32 Ho-229. These will not be placed on the plane because I don't want to cover up the wonderful detail inside. Instead, they'll probably be placed on some kind of stand. The top of the wing skin will be painted in some kind of German-looking camo pattern and will extend over to the center and stop just port of the centerline. The rest will be plywood. The inside of the wing skin will also be finished in plywood. The pics sow how I'm going about painting these sections of the beast. I had to scribe all the panel lines on the inside of the wing. Luckily, the part is translucent which made it a very easy task. I'm letting the metallic paint dry overnight before I hit it with a neutral gray wash.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.