Nebelwerfer 41

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 12 · 2 years ago · 1/35, Italeri, Nebelwerfer
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my quick (or so I intend!) build of the Italeri 1/35 15cm Nebelwerfer 41.

It was a mobile German 6 barreled multiple rocket launcher used in the Second World War. It served with Nebeltruppen units. Although fire from the Nebelwerfer 41 was relatively inaccurate, one of the weapon's chief assets was the concussion effect of its high-explosive projectiles. The Nebelwerfer 41 could fire three different types of projectiles: high-explosive shells, incendiary projectiles, and smoke projectiles. The high-explosive round contains 5 pounds of explosive. The name 'Nebelwerfer' is best translated as 'fog-thrower'. It saw service from 1941-45 in all theaters of the war. Over 6000 launchers were produced.

This is the Italeri kit, seemingly first issued in 1983, with another reboxing in 1995, which is the copy I have. I have no armor experience whatsoever, so, let me just say that it looks like a good kit!

Here are the two sprues, 87 pieces in total...

Here are the instructions, nice and clear:
    I intend to make this a "quick build", hand painted as my Airfix 1/72 DUKW some days ago, kind of like a mojo booster, something different.

More to come!

• Profile Photo

Main construction done!

Many bits and pieces were attached onto the main subassemblies. Fit was nice allover. The 6 kit provided rocket containers were assembled, as well.
    Here is how the Nebelwerfer looks:
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Painted

Instructions called for a "dark gray" overall, but, from checking net pics, most of them were khaki-ish, some had brown green camo and the like. I went and applied Hu72 khaki allover (as I like its hue!). Here are the Nebelwerfer elements painted: Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Late last night I happened to run across this build of yours. Then I check back this morning and you are nearly finished ! You Sir, are a model building machine ... and that's a good thing. 🙂

I like your choice of color. It also reminds me of the color used on the cockpit and various internal locations inside the Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien. As far as the way that German armor and other various Wehrmacht vehicles / equipment was painted can be confusing.

As best as I can tell, they painted things using the standard dark German Gray color up until the August / September time frame era of 1943. Then they started using the "Dunkelgelb" (Dark Yellow) color after that as the standard base color. The only notable exception to this that comes to mind quickly are from the equipment that was built specifically for the Afrikacorps.

The nice thing about building German armor / and equipment models, is that almost anything goes. Once these items were assigned to a unit, they could be painted in any number of ways, since camouflage was up to the local Commanders, who had a lot of leeway to change the appearance based on the local conditions.

I have never seen a kit like this one built before... and you are knocking it out of the park !

BTW, congrats on having your Buckeye in the headlines section over at MM. I have been noticing a lot of your builds showing up like that lately. More proof that you are an exceptional builder.

Take care my friend, and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for kind and supporting words, my Friend @lgardner! Meaning a lot to me.

The Nebelwerfer kit was discovered "forgotten" at a bookshop that used to sell models a very long time ago. I went on with this build, as a break from my "usual" plane stuff, kind of a mojo boosting. Brush painting it means that I recall my younger modeling days.

Again, thanks a lot, my good Friend!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Speeding in the fast lane my friend? - I shall try to catch up.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my good Friend @airbum!

Nothing faster than a single shaded armor model...

• Profile Photo

Silver dry brushed and blackwashed...

Also, the barrel innards were painted black.
    Next is dry pastelling!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Almost done

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks like a fun and fast build Spiros. Despite its age the kit stands out even paint brushed!

• Profile Photo

It indeed was quick and fun to build, my friend @holzhamer!
    Yes, the kit holds its own today, with some minor complaints regarding ejector pin marks onto the tires thread. At least, they are only found at their inner sides.

• Profile Photo

Finished!

Even the final matt coat was hand painted!

Took me one day, loosely working to finish it, practically two afternoons (yes, a bit longer then "back then", where the models were finished in just one afternoon 🙂

Thanks my friends @lgardner, @airbum, @holzhamer and all followers, it was a joy and an honor to host you in this build thread!