Until here and no further

Started by Michel Verschuere · 43 · 1 year ago · GAZ, Hostomel, Kyiv, Tigr, Ukraine
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Some of you are following developments in Ukraine closely. I am one of these folks. We help some Ukrainians that arrived in Belgium in the first week of the conflict and so the whole thing is rather personal to me.

I usually follow the news on Twitter, but also from some local Ukrainian news sites that have an offering in English. I can recommend the following sources:
    Mriya Report: https://twitter.com/MriyaReport?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Ukrainska Pravda, a local newspaper that has a site in English:
    https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/
    War on the rocks podcast by Ryan Evans:

Home
    One of the pictures that came past in the early days of the conflict is the following: It depicts a Gaz Tigr (233014) lightly armored Infantry vehicle that was stopped on the road. The picture was likely taken during the first push towards Kyiv in February this year. MENG model has this vehicle in scale 1:35 (VS-003) so I started-off on this little project. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/meng-model-vs-003-tiger--180937 I want to have the vehicle stopped by small arms fire on its way to Kyiv. I built a highway overpass from styrene rods and added some railing from another MENG kit. This build will likely be slow because of the limited time I have on the bench. Here are some pictures as it stands: Hope you like it! Happy modeling, Michel.
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    This is already shaping up to be another one of your epic dioramas. You always capture the "look" and seem to have this down to a science. Your ability to scratch build things is very impressive.

I definitely will be watching for further updates. Keep it going my friend ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I see another great diorama arising, ichel @michel-verschuere
    Looking forward to this.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great idea, Michel @michel-verschuere, I’d much rather see these vehicles like this than driving round Red Square on their annual jolly.

• Profile Photo

Status right now. Added the road from black sandpaper and dry-fitted the road signs I made using powerpoint while studying the UA map. Will print them on white decal paper when the size is fitted.

Hope you like!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very very nice, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Nice idea to create the road like this.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Superb progress and equally superb looks, my friend @michel-verschuere!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks great, Michel (@michel-verschuere). You are the king of military dioramas, so I can't wait to see this one done. There are times I still can't believe that this has happened to the Ukraine. I grew up during the Cold War, and this is starting to seem the same.

• Profile Photo

@gblair thanks for your words my friend, means a lot to me. I too did not expect this RU imperialism to manifest itself on this scale, but on the other hand it kinda shows what paper tiger (however with nukes) it is as a state. I am sure this conflict will end with UA victorious and RU federation broken beyond repair. You can see the first signs already.

@fiveten @johnb also thanks for following this one, I try to progress every day

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Here is an update!
    Worked the dio further and attached the road signs. Also added some static grass by the side of the road. I think I will add some snow too, because this setting is from end of February, beginning March near Kyiv, when the weather was still cold.

I also dry-fitted the resin wheels that needed to be drilled-out proir. Lining them out will be some work but fist they need to be painted, like the body of the truck as well. Spent a lot of time on the interior, where decals mimic the lining with camo cloth. I think half the work on the model is the interior.

I plan to keep all doors open, so it was important to do this patiently.

Working every week on this, life keeps me busy in other places. I also have been abroad many times lately!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looks soooo realistic, my friend @michel-verschuere!
    Excellent so far!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great idea.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Amazing, Michel @michel-verschuere
    Perfect in every detail, I do like that flat tyre a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Some more pictures. Will try to make better ones later this week! I hope you like the progress...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.