1199 Panigale S

Started by Richard Mcstay · 38 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hello again! Here's another work in progress of Tamiya's fairly recent 1199 kit. It's in the standard 1.12 scale and all reviews on the kit have absolutely raved about it. I have purchased some decals from Hobby Design to upgrade the bike to the Tricolore with the full Termignoni exhaust system. I also have the after-market fork set currently somewhere in the post.

As a bike enthusiast myself, the Panigale caused quite a storm in the real world on it's release. It boasts a 1200cc (near enough) engine and apparently is quite a handful for most riders. Standard for Ducati, It doesn't quite match the likes of the new R1 or S1000rr around a track, but is literally only a couple of seconds off.
    It does however have the stylish luxury that the Italian bikes are famous for. I would go as far as to say that it is the sexiest sports motorcycle ever built! If your in to that sort of thing anyway!

Here's a couple of pics of the Ducati's from the Birmingham bike show last November. The one in Red is the new 1299 bike for 2015.

• Profile Photo

This is a few days work I'm posting here. I assembled the engine block and gave it a primer coat of tamiya gloss black. I find this is the best way to give a realistic metallic finish. The engine is painted with tamiya acrylics and finished with a thinned down wash of X-19 smoke to bring out the detail and give a slightly oily working look.

The main exhaust manifold was given a base coat of tamiya acrylics then finished with alclad round the welds, as well as a light shading of clear blue. Most of the metallic colours are a blend of a couple of paints as requested by the instruction manual.

Next is the radiator and airbox which links the engine block and steering column. The 1199 differs from all other sports bikes in it's design. The bike does not have a frame!

• Profile Photo

The engine block is starting to take shape. Once the decals have set on the exhaust cans I can give them a quick coat of clear and finish the assembly.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Looking like a great start there Richard.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Simon. It has been a joy to build so far, a really good kit!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Richard, better late to the party, than never. Great start, looking very nice !

• Profile Photo

No bother Bernd, glad you could make it! Cheers.

One notable difference with this kit in comparison to the other Tamiya bikes that I have built is the amount of screws. A lot of the sub-assemblies screw together without any need for gluing. I decanted them into a little container to keep the carpet monster off them.

Note the size of the back tyre! You need a fair bit of surface area in contact with the ground though to put the power down on this thing. The V twin engine produces 195 horses with 98.1 ft lbs of torque giving it a huge amount of power in the lower revs.

The exhaust cans then screw on to the engine, as does the air box and radiator.

With most motorcycle builds, it is going to be a shame putting the fairings on and cover some of this detail. They do unscrew however as with the other Tamiya kit's I have built. It is one of the great benefits of doing a work in progress on these builds. I can have a look at the engine detail on the computer, rather than getting the screw driver out and risk knocking bits off the finished model.

Thanks for looking in.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Richard, for some reason I haven't got round to getting one of these kits, not sure why, but, seeing yours, now I will have to! You've made a terrific start on this, and your enthusiasm for the real thing certainly shows through. Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

• Profile Photo

Cheers George, thanks very much. It does seem like a good kit so far, very detailed. The cool thing with these road bike kits is the possibility to customise them into a racing machine. I'm keeping this one road legal though!

They are a fantastic bike in the real world though. I was thinking of buying one a few months back, but they are a lot of money to spend on what is essentially just a summer use only vehicle, and the weather isn't getting any better up Newcastle! I think if I was to get another one it would have to be an upright or a sports tourer. I have the missus on the back these days!

Here's a pic of one in action anyway.

Next was the long drawn out affair of hand drilling the back break disc.

Still got two more to do. I spent a good few hours on it last night getting through some of the sub assemblies.

• Profile Photo

Great work Richard, coming together well.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Richard, a fine looking build. The detail is remarkable.

• Profile Photo

Thanks very much guys. It is a really detailed kit straight from the box. I bought it to be a relatively quick build, but it's going to take a while I think!

The sub assemblies are starting to come together now. As I was saying to George earlier, the possibilities are endless with one of these builds in terms of customisation. I wan't to replicate the Tricolore version of the actual bike so want to follow the instructions carefully. You can make little changes though, such as the gold chain I've added.

• Profile Photo

Sweet Richard.
    Sure goes together well.

• Profile Photo

The back shocker is on now. The bikes frame less design is starting to become apparent. Just waiting to collect my front fork set from the Royal Mail depot in the morning and I can crack on.

• Profile Photo

That looks quite compact Richard.
    Quite good to I may add.