1:24 VW Samba "Sleepah"

Started by Gavin Snowdon · 23 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I decided that I wanted to build myself a sleeper dragster/hot rod, based on a VW Samba bus after seeing outrageous mods on Netflix and YouTube. Feeling inspired after my Stratos build, I at first decided to go down the route of fitting a 911 engine to the kit, but decided that this was so "old hat" and done to death in the real world.

What to do?

I wanted it to look worn and rusty, but low slung with intent without been obviously a monster in disguise. The 911 approach was scrapped so where was I going to get my power plant from, then it struck me - Revell have a neat Audi R8 with a lovely engine package that I could borrow and decent wheels to boot. So, I decided to create my own hybrid Frankenstein by combining the Revell R8 with the Revell Samba.

This will require some thought as I am entering very deep water and unknowns where I risk wasting two decent kits, but with the potential of creating some thing special and unique.

Here are the two donors.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well, here are my test subjects for my Frankenstein build. I tried to do some initial planning for cut outs to fit the R8 engine and compared chassis to see "compatibility"

Next round I'll show some of my work on the chassis's.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The R8 chassis is a bit larger than the Samba's so this will require some more thought.
    I start off putting in a cutout into the Samba inner pan to fit the engine through...
    It turns out that I need a bigger cutout.
    I cut off the rear of the R8 chassis to mate with the lower Samba chassis.
    But, this does not work...more surgery is required.:sick:

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decided to opt for a cut down R8 chassis.
    Now I am having to chop the Samba inner pan to match...YIKES!
    This is Frankenstein!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well on wards and upwards!

I put the wheels together and gave them and the engine a wash finish. Using the full Audi suspension was the intent, but after having to slim it down to mate with chopped up Samba inner pan I may have to cut back on the suspension, not that you would notice as the double wishbone sits well within the wheel rim - this give me a bit wriggle space.
    The engine looks good on the back of the hybrid chassis.
    The body was a bit of work as it comprised of about 12 pieces including the rear part of the inner pan that was chopped off.
    Next up is the engine bay!

What to do?:tongue-out3:

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well, work is progressing on my Frankenstein Samba. The engine bay needed to be addressed.
    I have decided to blend the R8 with the Samba in this area.
    Started off with card template to make the engine bay.
    I have also decided to create cut outs for the air intakes so the engine can breathe, like a R8.

• Profile Photo

I have done a bit of pre-rusting paint work on the body.
    I have been working on the interior, and am currently working on the dash. Just finished plumbing in the "Go Faster" dial - the rest of the decals are still on their way
    The dash is ready with a few subtle and one very obvious embellishment.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The Samba body has been painted and the weathering has begun. I still need to finesse the rust some more , but as such I have made a start ...and the rust work continues.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 5 years ago:

The base is now ready...

I've just gotta finish the body and put it all together.

Thanks for watching.

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 5 years ago:

Well, back to the body...

Did the chrome strip around the body with Alclad Chrome...happy with the look.

Trial fitting the bumper. Had to remove the moulded bumper strips as they were too fussy and did a bit of chipping...again, very happy with the look.

Next, more rust!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Just discovered this post, and am surprised no one has commented on your fun and well done build. Nice work on the distressed paint job. Hope you @snowman will post a picture of the completed project.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hey - that is from before I joined the site - looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for re-discovering this Walt @luftwaffe-birdman. Hopefully Gavin @snowman is still around somewhere on iModeler and will resurface to let us in on the fun here?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Echoing the above comments, I love your job @snowman!
    Looking forward to your update!

• Profile Photo
    Gavin Snowdon said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thank you for the kind words.

I finally did complete the build and here are images of the completed build.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looks good, why not post it in headlines here on iModeler?