888 Ducati track bike

Started by Rory Wilson · 35 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Good evening gents,

This is my first post here as a new member. My photography needs lots of work, but I would like to share a build I am busy with. I am a dedicated Ducati fan and the fortunate owner of two full size Ducati's, being a 2000 model 748 and a 2017 &97 Monster. The model I am busy with is the Ducati 888 superbike successfully campained in 1994 by Doug Polen. I have however chosen to paint it as a track bike using the colour scheme of my 797 being red frame and wheels with white bodywork. I hope this isn't seen as modeling heracy. Attached are a few photos of my progress so far.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Welcome on board, Rory @Rory
    Your start on this triple 8 is very nice.
    To my opinion it will look great in red, no modelling heracy at all.
    Looking forward to see it finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry and great progress so far, my friend @rory!
    Paint it as you love!
    Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the welcome gents!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking good so far @rory, I’m sure your colour scheme will really suit it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. A small progress update. I parted the fairing into a top and bottom half so that the lower part can be removed for display. Not sure yet whether I will clear coat with a gloss or satin finish. Thanks for looking.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @rory!
    Either choice of gloss or satin has its strong points: most 888s look glossy, but the satin shade looks also "correct", as it offers a "realistic" look.
    So, up to you really!

• Profile Photo

Hi Rory @rory, I’d go for gloss, but, of course, it’s up to you, I’m sure either will look good.

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros and George, Thanks both for your comments. I personally like gloss shiny finishes on everything, although the white bodywork on my full size Ducati 797 is satin.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great work, Rory @rory
    Always difficult to choose, but in the end it is best to do what you prefer.
    I think in both, gloss and satin, the bike will look amazing.

• Profile Photo

Hi John,

Thanks for looking and your kind reply. Yesterday I put on a first coat of gloss onto the lower half of the fairing to get a feel, and I think it is going to be gloss. It seems to unify the decals and colour into a pleasing look. I also sprayed and "heat stained" the exhaust which I really enjoyed, but oh my goodness did I struggle with the CF decals on the silencers! I will upload a few photos later this week.

• Profile Photo

Hi Rory @Rory, glad to see you’re progressing with this build, looking forward to seeing the photographs.

• Profile Photo

Also looking forward to see your progress, my friend @rory!

• Profile Photo

Morning all from a sunny but cold South Africa.; I am not a patient man and couldn't resist loosely screwing a few sub assemblies together to get a first look at how the bike will look. I am quite pleased with the colour scheme, so now just need to crack on over the next few evenings with all the fiddly bits to get it finished, although there is still a long way to go. I "donated" the numbers from my Kawasaki RR R superbike kit as the colours compliment the scheme I am using, and every good track bike needs a number! Thanks for taking a look.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Rory @rory, the colours look great, and I like the subtle exhaust weathering.