Ducati Panigale Racer

Started by George Williams · 90 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Browsing the internet recently, as you do, I came across an aftermarket transfer (decal) set for a Panigale racer entered in the World Superbike championship in 2013, ridden by Spaniard Carlos Checa, and couldn’t resist, the set arrived today and looks OK, so I’ve ordered Tamiya’s kit and their Detail-Up set. Gavin Snowden @snowman is already building the kit in this group, but he’s also using some extra detail parts as well.

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The main visible changes to the standard road going bike seem to be the omission of things that make it road legal, such as lights, mirrors, etc, which shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m not sure if these bikes raced on slicks or road tyres, it’s difficult to tell from the pictures I’ve found, and there appears to be something behind the rider that could be a camera or a radio transmitter, not sure which at the moment. I’ll start work on it next week sometime after the postman brings the kit. If anyone reading this can shed any info on the tyre choice I’d be very grateful.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Good one George, pretty sure they would be slicks, they are in your pic' above, put the road tyres on and call them wets, not a very successful season for Carlos, best place was 6th in Portugal, super bikes are not well represented in models.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Wow, what an absolutely amazing entry, my friend @chinesegeorge!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Alan @kalamazoo, I think you’re right. Spiros sent me some pictures showing slicks and wets at the track, and what look like a couple of promotional shots with standard road tyres, like the ones in the kit, so I think I’ll be safe using them, especially if I sand them a bit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Spiros @fiveten, thanks for looking and your help with the tyres, looks like I’ll be safe using the road tyres included in the kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great entry, George @chinesegeorge
    Slicks all the way indeed. Thanks to the help of Spiros.
    Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking, John @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Oh no, just spotted this on scalemates.com, looks like Tamiya are releasing another 1/12 Ducati, for future release, no mention on the Tamiya website yet………

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looks like another Tamiya gem, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

I’ll have to put in on my Christmas list Spiros @fiveten. Isn’t the internet fantastic? In the space of an afternoon here in China I’ve chatted to my nephew in England (checking on their safety in the heatwave) it was breakfast time there, Alan Withers @kalamazoo in Sydney, John in Belgium (?) @johnb, and your good self in Greece. Due to the time difference our friends in the US and Canada haven’t joined in, but they were always late to the party! ( A Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson joke.)

Thanks for your interest and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, close to Belgium, I'm living in the south of the Netherlands, just a couple of kilometers above Eindhoven.

• Profile Photo

Hi folks, the basic Tamiya kit arrived today, still waiting for the Detail Up parts and the all important Italian Red spray can.

First job is to scrub up the tyres a little using my old but trusty Tamiya file. The tread moulding is too deep to turn them into slicks.

Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice start, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great start, George @chinesegeorge
    Nice way to make the tyres look a bit worn.